Barometer, Hygrometer, Thermometer, Anemometer, GPS

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by hmbleservant, Jun 30, 2011.

1. hmbleservant

hmbleservant Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the CHEAPEST not the most CONVIENIENT way to purchase all these and have the ability to take accurate readings for shooting. Later on I will get a Kestrel or something nice like that.

Anemometer, Thermometer= $20.00
    I was advised that the Caldwell Wind Wizard was good enough

Barometer, Hygrometer= $30.00
    Anybody have any advise on something cheap that will read accurately?
    What about something like this...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Station-Barometer-Hygrometer-inch/dp/B003N3C8JW/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309467395&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Weather Station Barometer Hygrometer 6.5 inch: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oEXMJ8dpL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oEXMJ8dpL[/ame]

The main thing is I just want it to read actual and not recieve signal from weather station or something like that.

What do yall use for Hygrometer and Barometer (by yall I mean...those less fortunate:D)

Oh yeah and same for a GPS (basic handheld...saves waypoints...that's all)
    Thanks

2. hmbleservant

hmbleservant Well-Known Member

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

I say get a Skymaster for $120, it'll do all you need. A gps is handy for marking points, plus I don't use the altitude setting on a weather unit that measures it off of the BP and a gps will give you a more accurate altitude reading. I have a cheap $90 gps from WalMart and a Garmin Rhino that cost about 3 times as much. The Rhino never gets used, the cheapy is a lot more user friendly. I used it as a backup in Iraq on a couple deployments.

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

you can do it cheaper, with multiple instruments, but there's nothing quite as good as a single unit that will provide all the atmospheric data you need. A buddy of mine has a couple of instruments and when we get together, rather than mess with gear, he relies on my kestrel.

$200 might be a lot of money, but worth every dime...

KestrelMeters.com | Kestrel 3500 Weather Meter

5. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Kestrel 3500. LR shooting isnt cheap