Barnes

Ian M

Its name says it all-the new tungsten core, Delrin-tipped bullet delivers Triple-Shock X-Bullet performance at maximum range. Like the all-copper Barnes-X and Triple-Shock X-Bullets, the new Maximum-Range X-Bullet contains no lead to contaminate venison. The MRX is the X-Bullet to choose when you need to make difficult shots at extreme distances. It's a super-premium bullet that delivers dependable long-range kills.

Available in 20-bullet packs in the following calibers and weights:

.270 (.277") 130, 150 grains

.7mm (.284") 140, 160 grains

.30 (.308") 150, 165, 180 grains

.338 (.338") 225 grains

Weights are a little on the light side for long range when using the ultras in .30 and .338 aren't they?

[ QUOTE ]
Weights are a little on the light side for long range when using the ultras in .30 and .338 aren't they?

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts as well, but looking at it from their perspective--that's what sells. Put that tungsten to good use and make some 220, 240's, etc in 30 cal for example! The truth is they'll sell 1000 times as many 180's.

In the above listed weights, I think they can be a big improvement for those who want X terminal performance and don't want to suffer the low BC's. Nice bullets, but they won't offer anything BC-wise that isn't already available and while some may prefer it, X toughness is certainly not needed (and IMHO not desired) for really long stuff. Their best use may be for people shooting smaller cases that can't really use the heaviest bullets, want the plastic-tipped BC but also want close range penetration better than the current plastic-tipped bullets out there. Certainly not a bad set of goals.

It's nice to see these new bullets coming out though. Keeps things interesting.... I'll probably buy a box of them to play with, but they won't compete BC-wise with what I want to use (which are much heavier for the caliber).

[ QUOTE ]
My thoughts as well, but looking at it from their perspective--that's what sells. Put that tungsten to good use and make some 220, 240's, etc in 30 cal for example! The truth is they'll sell 1000 times as many 180's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree when looking at the short term. Especially when they need to start making payments on the expensive equipment it takes to make these miracle bullets. However, the winds of change are blowing and more and more hunters are stretching out the distances they are considering shooting. This change can be helped along by providing the people in the LR game with the components needed to do so. As others see the results of heavy, high BC bullets they will climb on board with the program. They can't see the results of this miracle bullet at long ranges unless the bullets are being sold and loaded. And from what Ian and GG say about this new design the LR terminal effect should be a MAJOR marketing point. Reliable expansion and penetration at 1400 FPS is very desireable for long rangers and if the bullet does what is claimed it will sell more bullets. First rate terminal effects and consistant dimensions are a big reason "hunting ballisticians" (us and those who follow us) pay for premium bullets. Otherwise we, and others stick to the less expensive bullets and more conservative distances we are comfortable with.

In short, if the product isn't available then it can't be purchased,tested and recomended. A heavy for caliber bullet in each category may not make a bunch of money now but I believe it will give them a foothold on profits before the pattent runs out.

But what does a humble locksmith know about marketing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ian, I think I already anounced that bullet a few weeks ago. Well at least I was just having a little fun with you. The core is made with a mixture of Tungsten and tin which are in powder form until they are run through a FETA tableting machine. (big bucks type machine) The process ensures no air gaps or bubbles in the core. A good thing! In testing these things opened up reliably to 1400fps in water, compared to 2200fps with the old triple shock. The Delrin tip seems to work. Now if they would just do what 4ky said and put some heavy weights in their selection for all these long range hunters!! One can hope can't he! 7mmrhb

Jon A the delrin tip was used primarily for better and more reliable expansion of tempered copper petals at lower velocity. The tungsten enabled them to make a more normal length bullet for weight. I'm sure the B.C. increased with the Delrin tip as well. I doubt we'll ever see a triple shock VLD. 7mmrhb

Yes, I realize that. I do think it will be an improvement--and the much, much higher impact velocities the higher BC's give will work hand in hand with that for a vast overall improvement (assuming it all works as advertised).

I don't see myself using them at this point, but they're no longer "crossed off my list" like the TSX's were. Like I said, interesting. I'm glad we're having new bullets to think about lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.