Barnes TTSX velocity question

Vleder

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and did not find a conclusive answer.
I am looking to load a 150g Barnes Tipped TSX in 308 to approx 2 850fps. Rifle is a Howa 1500 Heavy Varminter, 24", 1/12 twist. (Let's assume I can do this)

Question is: I have read that the min expansion velocity is 2 000fps which given the starting vel is at approx 375m. Anyone with experience with this specific bullet in 308 at long range? Am wanting to hunt smaller antelope at approx 450m conditions allowing.
Is this enough distance to worry about?
Will it still open?
Punch through?
Better choice? Nosler AB, Hornady Interbond?

I need something that will open at 50m as well as 450m (so sadly Berger VLD out as too many short range punch throughs, sorry VLD fans, no stoning required) with a decent BC.

Thanks for any feedback

good question, I heard just today that barnes has developed a new bullet in a few calibers that open up down to 1400 vel. don't quote me but I think they have a cavity to help them open. In a perfect world they would open at any and all velocities every time. call Barnes and talk to them.

good luck,

Wade

I have been testing the same bullet in two 300 mags (3,400 fps?) at 600 yards into wet clay. I estimate the impact vel. to be right around 2,000 fps and I am just barely getting decent expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.