Barnes TTSX 224 55 gr out a 22-250 savage 1:12 twist??

Majopikeras

Hello everyone

I´m thinking in the new Barnes TTSX, but they advice you need really faster twist rates (1:12 for the 50 grainer, 1:9 for the 55 grainer).

I have a Savage 112 VB SS, chambered in 22-250, with a 26" fluted factory barrel. Has anyone tried the 55 TTSX in a 1:12 22-250 barrel? I think this could be enough for the 55…

The 50 gr TTSX has a BC of 0.229, the 55 is 0.272. If I could go on with the heavy, it will be nice, but if I have to pick up the light one maybe it´s a better option to go on with the 60 gr partition, with 0.228 BC.

Maybe someone think that another option to keep in mind is the TSX bullets, but you just can go on with the 55 grainer, with a 0.209 BC, because the 62 grainer (0.287 BC) needs 1:9 twist.

So, please, any opinions about that? As you can see, I'm looking for a stout bullet to hunt medium size game (roe deer, does, etc). Here in Spain you have no cartridge or bore restrictions. Maybe there´s another bullet that I have to consider… Maybe berger VLD hunting, but this bullet is hard to get here.

I have also heard that the BC that Barnes gave for his bullets are not realyy true, as they tell more that the real one. Should I trust them? Or forget abou that and get the partition?

Anybody has tried some of those bullets in a similar rifle?

Thanks!!

Hello everyone

I´m thinking in the new Barnes TTSX, but they advice you need really faster twist rates (1:12 for the 50 grainer, 1:9 for the 55 grainer).

I have a Savage 112 VB SS, chambered in 22-250, with a 26" fluted factory barrel. Has anyone tried the 55 TTSX in a 1:12 22-250 barrel? I think this could be enough for the 55…

The 50 gr TTSX has a BC of 0.229, the 55 is 0.272. If I could go on with the heavy, it will be nice, but if I have to pick up the light one maybe it´s a better option to go on with the 60 gr partition, with 0.228 BC.

Maybe someone think that another option to keep in mind is the TSX bullets, but you just can go on with the 55 grainer, with a 0.209 BC, because the 62 grainer (0.287 BC) needs 1:9 twist.

So, please, any opinions about that? As you can see, I'm looking for a stout bullet to hunt medium size game (roe deer, does, etc). Here in Spain you have no cartridge or bore restrictions. Maybe there´s another bullet that I have to consider… Maybe berger VLD hunting, but this bullet is hard to get here.

I have also heard that the BC that Barnes gave for his bullets are not realyy true, as they tell more that the real one. Should I trust them? Or forget abou that and get the partition?

Anybody has tried some of those bullets in a similar rifle?

Thanks!!

Nobody knows something about that?

Cheers!

HI There! I know about this. I just got back from the range using the 55 grain ttsx out of a Savage 12 LRPV .22-250. It is a 1:9 and was beginning to show signs of stability issues at 5 degrees fahrenheit. So, I would say that the answer is a definitive no out of your 1:12. The issues associated with bullet stability are more related to length of the bullet than its over-all weight, although weight is a factor in the equation. This bullet, at .896", is long for a 55-grainer, thus requiring the high twist. FYI 35.3 grains of Hodgdon Varget with Lapua brass and CCI BR-2 makes a 1/2" group at 100 yds out of my savage with this bullet. That said, this is at or above 30 degrees. which corresponds to sterility of 1.43 or higher. At 5 degrees the stability was 1.32 and groups opened up to 1"! So… just use the berger bullets stability calculator for your future satiability calculating needs and keep the SG around 1.5 or greater and you'll be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts