Barnes ttsx 120grain for deer?

Thanks guys. STW, I'll keep the shoulder shots in mind. Hey, I'm relocating to Tx, so maybe I'll make it to South Texas for deer. First up are hogs though. WTH, it's Texas!

Yes, I''ve got accurate hot loads for the 120 & 140 TTSX, have 145LRX but haven't loaded them yet. (Wondering if I have to reduce charge a bit from the 140s.) I have 139 Interlocks & SSTs loads for practice but I haven't been able to make them shoot tight groups as consistently, at least not yet, than the TTSX loads. A guy down there told me he shoots hogs with SSTs but I was thinking they're too explosive and may lack penetration depending on what they hit.

Those Barnes load specs just seemed to work out very well of the box. I typically only try 3, maybe 4 loads in a ladder test with them and the sweet spot is revealed.

Not sure if I should buy another box of 120s of anything because I don't want to burn my barrel out with 3500fps projectiles, but when I got them I was thinking the lighter weight might be good if soft tissue was hit, and solid won't explode. Guess I'll just have to hit a hog with one and report back!

Thanks guys. STW, I'll keep the shoulder shots in mind. Hey, I'm relocating to Tx, so maybe I'll make it to South Texas for deer. First up are hogs though. WTH, it's Texas!

Yes, I''ve got accurate hot loads for the 120 & 140 TTSX, have 145LRX but haven't loaded them yet. (Wondering if I have to reduce charge a bit from the 140s.) I have 139 Interlocks & SSTs loads for practice but I haven't been able to make them shoot tight groups as consistently, at least not yet, than the TTSX loads. A guy down there told me he shoots hogs with SSTs but I was thinking they're too explosive and may lack penetration depending on what they hit.

Those Barnes load specs just seemed to work out very well of the box. I typically only try 3, maybe 4 loads in a ladder test with them and the sweet spot is revealed.

Not sure if I should buy another box of 120s of anything because I don't want to burn my barrel out with 3500fps projectiles, but when I got them I was thinking the lighter weight might be good if soft tissue was hit, and solid won't explode. Guess I'll just have to hit a hog with one and report back!

The 120s or 140s will both be fine.....I doubt very serious you'll shoot enough of the 120s to shoot your barrel out. If you're worried about it, just do most of your practicing with the slower loads!

I've taken countless white tails with Barnes TTSX and tsx bullets in 250ai, 257ai, 7x57 ai, 280 ai, 338 rcm, and 9.3x62 and never a failure. I used 120 gr in 7mm, 80 gr TTSX, 100 tsx, in 25 cal, and 185 tsx in 338. Never lost an animal, 100% performance and expansion, and never recovered a bullet. Lungs always look like a blender blade was shot thru them. I did however stop using tipped tsx because I was seeing the plastic tip wobble when rolled on a tabletop so I went to tsx exclusively and I have noticed better more consistent accuracy. I also had a few tips break on feeding. I emailed Barnes about this and never got a reply so no more tipped Barnes for me. Barnes tsx Are the only bullets I use on game, period. IF I were to use a different bullet it would be a nosler accubond or partition on heavier game. Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.