Barnes LRX with H1000 or H4831sc

Firearrow

Was looking at getting the Barnes 175 or 200 grain bullet for my 300 mag. I have not been able to find any data for these bullets with h1000 and or H4831sc. I know these powders push other bullets in similar weight ranges, but I was hoping someone could throw some personnel results this way. Thanks.

Was looking at getting the Barnes 175 or 200 grain bullet for my 300 mag. I have not been able to find any data for these bullets with h1000 and or H4831sc. I know these powders push other bullets in similar weight ranges, but I was hoping someone could throw some personnel results this way. Thanks.

Then you have your answer already, use the loads from bullets of similar weight and shape.

Also here is the load info from Barnes #3 manual for the 200g XFB
Trim length is 2.610, federal GM 210M, Winchester brass ,remember Barnes are seating depth sensitive, and they recommend .050 off the lands and using charge weights to achieve your load.
H1000 listed as one of there preferred loads, 72.4 at 2516 fps and 77.5 at 2689 fps

They do not list H4831"sc" as the manual was printed before its introduction but they do list H4831(same thing) at 68.0g 2634 fps and 73.0g at 2828 fps.

From Hodgdon
It is probably safe to say more big game has been taken with H4831 than any other powder. Bruce Hodgdon was the first supplier to introduce this popular burning rate in 1950. Since that time it has become a favorite for cartridges like the 270 Winchester, 25-06 Remington, 280 Remington and 300 Winchester Magnum. As an Extreme Extruded propellant it shares the fine quality of insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures, as well as superb uniformity from lot to lot.
H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut. The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers. Take the Extreme Tour

I have had great results with the 175 LRX in my 300 win mag using Ramshot Magnum, H1000 and 4831SC....

Here is what I was sent from Barnes. I've tried H4831 with mediocre results and just finished loading a ladder with H1000 but have not yet started that test.

Attachments

• 300 Winchester Magnum.pdf
    10.2 KB · Views: 864

I have been using 4831 sc in my 260 rem max load 46 gr practically fills the case, compressed load, but has been accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.