Barnes 200gr LRX 300 RUM

I know this is an older post but would like to add my 200 lrx load also. I use 85 grains of retumbo and a gm215m primer. Loaded to 3.662 for .090 jump this load shoot a 1/4 moa and cruises at 3142 ES of 10 and an SD of 5. This is from a 28" PAC nor barrel with a tight neck chamber.

I am hoping to try this out on caribou from some distance before the season closes.

Reuben

AKGuide,

Thanks for posting the data ! I have 2 boxes of the 200 gr LRX bullets I've been wanting to try,
I also have a tight necked 300 Rum (29" Hart bbl)
got a couple 8lb jugs of Retumbo, gonna start burning some of it up

I noticed .004" of neck clearance has given me the best groups. So if you have a .338" neck like mine I load them to .334". Also if you get vertical or high ES numbers the federal gm210m primers helped lower my ES and SD with the 220 smk bullet so it should work with the lrx also. With the 210 primer you can load about a grain higher to get the velocity back, for a large rifle primer it is pretty warm. The Barnes bullet likes a long jump it seems and likes a certain amount of powder also. I would start at 82 grains and work up to 85 to 86 grains in one grain increments and then find a node than test in between at half grain increments. A half grain higher or lower opened my groups, but once you get it dialed in this bullet shoots and the bc listed is pretty close I haven't done much testing beyond 300 yards but that will change shortly. I forgot to mention that i coat these with HbN to keep the copper fouling down so your max load may be lower than mine. It is almost none existent after twenty rounds a few wet patches of cr-10 is all it needs.

Reuben

Thanks for the info,
I have Neil Jones dies custom made for my chamber and have had fantastic results with 200 gr Accubond bullets and RL 25, I have been coating all my bullets with WS2 tungsten disulfide for over ten years now and only run 40 rounds of naked bullets to break in a new barrel and that's it

Like other shooters I was chasing BC's and jumped all over the Bergers but unlike the glowing reports of the other guys I could never get any acceptable accuracy with the 210 and 230 gr Bergers in my 300 Rum nor in my 338 Edge with the 300 gr OTM bullets, H-1000 gave the best accuracy with 300 gr Accubonds in the Edge, I have given up on the Bergers and will burn up what I have left for fireforming my wildcat 7.62 Pro when it's done . Have had much better luck with Accubonds which in my view are much better hunting bullets for Alaska

Shooting targets and rocks on the mountain sides is great fun and all good but I don't really care for using the Bergers for hunting anyway, they are more of a "lower 48" deer bullet, I'm looking forward to trying the LRX bullets and really excited about the Accubond Long Range bullets (have 4 boxes preordered)

Finally tested the 200 lrx on game instead of paper. All I can say is wow. Two bang flops at over 500 yards. I believe that the 300 rum will be reserved for moose and grizzly. Just a little too much gun for caribou, even at extended range. I got pics of the first cow I dropped but not the second. First cow was milled at six hundred yards and was a very quartering away shot. She dropped like she got tazed stiff legs and tipped over. Second cow was milled at 575 but I hit a little far forward and caught some shoulder and lost some meat on the off side. Reading the wind was a little difficult on the second shot.

Reuben

Here are the pics. Top is entry bottom is exit.

Attachments

• Entry 200 LRX.jpg
    Entry 200 LRX.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Exit 200 LRX.jpg
    Exit 200 LRX.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 219
awesome ! good job on the caribou ! looks like the 30 cal 200 gr LRX will be a **** good moose bullet ... thanks for the field report and pics.....

based on your 30 cal results I went looking for the 338 cal 265 gr LRX bullets and actually found a couple boxes at Sportsmans in Wasilla..

soon as I get the 3.9" Seekins detach mag system installed on my 338 Edge gonna work on those to see how the fly...

Boman,

Like many other guys before me, I took Mr. Sloans excellent cartridges the 300 Norma Magnum and 338 Norma Magnum and tweaked them a bit to suit my needs, now I will not call it any sort of "Improved" since there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original designs.

The 7.62 PRO is one of 6 wildcats I tweaked off the two Norma Mag cases
I wtote a bit on it and posted Quick Design images with dimensions on my 500 Jefferey wildcats thread .... page 4, post #28

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/500-jeffery-based-wildcats-107936/index4.html

Last edited:
Finally tested the 200 lrx on game instead of paper. All I can say is wow. Two bang flops at over 500 yards. I believe that the 300 rum will be reserved for moose and grizzly. Just a little too much gun for caribou, even at extended range. I got pics of the first cow I dropped but not the second. First cow was milled at six hundred yards and was a very quartering away shot. She dropped like she got tazed stiff legs and tipped over. Second cow was milled at 575 but I hit a little far forward and caught some shoulder and lost some meat on the off side. Reading the wind was a little difficult on the second shot.

Reuben

AK Guide,

Sorry to dig up this old post buy I had a question on the Barnes LRX... Would you recommend them Grizzly too?

I am going to ANWR sheep hunting this summer but also can take a Grizzly if we happen upon one. I will be shooting a 300 wsm and am looking for a bullet with a good bc but also great weight retention.

I had been considering the Accubond, Accubond LR, Barnes TTSX or Barnes LRX.

I first want a great sheep bullet but definitely need the same bullet to be capable of taking grizzly.

Any thoughts/recommendations you can give would be great.

Thanks,
Fred

I would use the 200 LRX in a WSM especially if you might shoot a grizzly. It worked flawlessly for me on caribou and wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on a grizz. Just like any barnes they like to be pushed hard and also like a lot of jump. I would also look into the 180 grain swift scirocco. I found it retains weight better than the accubond in my experience and was easy to tune in my cousins WSM. A stiff load of H4831 with a .015" jump is what worked for his rifle. I have heard that R17 is a great powder choice also. He has taken two nice bull moose cleanly. The one bullet we found weighed 151 grains after passing through the boiler room of a 54" bull at 130 yards. All the barnes bullets I have shot game with I have never recovered them, they were all pass through shots.

Reuben

I would use the 200 LRX in a WSM especially if you might shoot a grizzly. It worked flawlessly for me on caribou and wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on a grizz. Just like any barnes they like to be pushed hard and also like a lot of jump. I would also look into the 180 grain swift scirocco. I found it retains weight better than the accubond in my experience and was easy to tune in my cousins WSM. A stiff load of H4831 with a .015" jump is what worked for his rifle. I have heard that R17 is a great powder choice also. He has taken two nice bull moose cleanly. The one bullet we found weighed 151 grains after passing through the boiler room of a 54" bull at 130 yards. All the barnes bullets I have shot game with I have never recovered them, they were all pass through shots.

Reuben

Fantastic information... I appreciate the insight!