Barnes 175 LRX loads for 300 RUM

318lll9740

Good evening...

I have a new thunderstick on the way and I need to make some ammo for it. This is my 3rd 300 ultra, but this is the first time I've got a chance to shoot some 175 Barnes LRX. I use Retumbo for my 300 ultra and would like to stick to it. Rifle is a Browning a-bolt with medium fluted 26" barrel. Any tips for proper cleaning using these projectiles would be appreciated as well. Thanks and good look to all this season:)

Last edited:
Seems like I was running close to 100grs of Retumbo with that bullet shot very well ! Start low and work up..Like all barnes that bullet likes to jump..

300 RUM, Rem M700 (26" barrel)
175 gr. Barnes LRX
Rem Brass
CCI 250 Primers
C.O.A.L: 3.675"
Retumbo Powder - I think I started around 94 gr and worked up to 99.5. Primers were pretty flat at that point and I was getting extractor marks on the brass. Settled on 98.8 gr of Retumbo for a velocity of 3400 fps.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys! Im getting ready to load up a few and my rifle should be here Tuesday. If I get accuracy around 3250 I'll be happy. Looks like that may be pretty easy

You will get to 3250 easy. I shoot the TTSX 180g and get right @ 3200 with 92.5g Retumbo.
I am a little disappointed with Barnes right now. I ordered 129g LRX for my 270wsm and they don't group well. They are longer than a 140g Nosler and 140g Berger with a lower bc. I'm limited on Magazine length so that extra bit is taking up case volume. I sent Barnes an email on the subject last week and have yet to hear from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts