Bare Bear Fly Rod

Muddyboots

IMG_9882.png

Funny! Had a similar experience in Alaska. Was fishing for salmon only about a mile from the coast and caught one that I couldn't stop. I was chasing it up the stream and it rounded a bend . when I got around the corner my hook was caught on a snag. Retrieved my line a walked back to my gear bag I was stunned to see a very big Brown bear track on top of my footprint in the sand. It had to be in the brush watching me run by. My butt tightened up somewhat.

Oh id say it happens enough just like trees crashing down in the woods that no one hears. Rosebud ,Sp6x6 maybe it's all the better for not seeing them bears ,they chase down anything they can ,I'm sure it's something like the lions eating their prey alive. Part of my fishing gear would be my 338 loaded with 250 partitions wearing a harris bipod. Cheers 🤔

Brother was fishing guide on lake Illiamna on Ak. Peninsula. I'm sure I didn't spell it right. But he had Ruger red hawk stainless on chest holster that stayed under water about half the time. He also had short barrel 12 gauge across his back. The other guides called him bear bait for good reason. He had to use them on more than one occasion.

Wow I guess when you're younger and grow up with them it's different,I've only seen them on movies and films,and being older now I'd soil myself. I'm betting the fishing was out of this world when your brother was a fishing guide wow I'm sure you both could tell some Incredible true stories .thks and Cheers.

Wow I guess when you're younger and grow up with them it's different,I've only seen them on movies and films,and being older now I'd soil myself. I'm betting the fishing was out of this world when your brother was a fishing guide wow I'm sure you both could tell some Incredible true stories .thks and Cheers.
I was there in 1975/76 he was there from78 till 91 or so. I had girlfriends VW beetle and looked for streams on the map in 100 mile range from Anchorage. I fished nearly every day in summer of 75. That's the year I got out of the Air Force. I was near willow when the bear watched me run by. The creek was called fish creek! I just knew it was going to be good with a name like that. We always quit fishing about10 PM, we called that the hour of the bear. They pored out of the brush. Creek was theirs then. A little side note. Snagging was legal then. On fish creek I was about mile to mile and a half from the salt water. Fish and game people had set up a fish trap and was tagging salmon. They had bright orange and green tags on dorsal fins. Very easy to see. I was using light weight spinning rig with eight pound line using a mepps spinner. Took my pliers and broke the blade off , I now had a weighted treble hook. That's why I was chasing ten and twelve pound salmon up the creek. Man I can still remember running and splashing across that creek after them, not a care in the world.

Last edited:
Oh id say it happens enough just like trees crashing down in the woods that no one hears. Rosebud ,Sp6x6 maybe it's all the better for not seeing them bears ,they chase down anything they can ,I'm sure it's something like the lions eating their prey alive. Part of my fishing gear would be my 338 loaded with 250 partitions wearing a harris bipod. Cheers 🤔
Most of the coastal bears were well fed. If left them alone they did the same. Mike, my brother filmed one about a 1000 pounds walking by him and his clients wife at 15 feet. Husband was crapping himself about hundred yards away. It was as so big its stomach nearly scraped the ground. He said it never even looked at them. He has a picture of himself and two lawyers he was guiding surrounded by them. Seven huge bears within twenty yards. One of the only rivers that scared me was the Gultona. It was on the way back to anchorage from Denali. Big river with bears not used to seeing people. I always made sure the shotgun was at hand. But you could catch greyling and rainbow trout on most every cast. You just kept your head on a swivel.

Last edited: