BallisticTip and AccuBond HELP!!!!

400bull

Does this seam right? Over the holiday weekend I decide to work up a couple new loads for my Winchester 270. The two bullets I decide to give a try were the Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic tip and the 130 gr. AccuBond. I was not it to the reloading process long when I first started to think that they were not going to work for me. I can't remember the exact numbers but the COL measured out to be 3.8 (+/-) inches. But my magazine would only allow the COL to be 3.4 (+/-). I usually try to get me loads about .015 - .020 inches off the lands. With this setup I was at .150 inches off the lands for the AccuBond and .120 inches off the lands for the Ballistic tip. Does this seem right for those of you that have worked up a load with ether the Ballistic tip or the AccuBond? Or is this an indication that the barrel on my 270 might be worn out and needs to be replaced?

400bull

Suggested factory C.O.L. is 3.34". The max length that your magazine takes is usually a good indicator of COL. I cant imagine how you managed a COL of almost 1/2" more. If it fits in your magazine, it is pretty close. Your rifle may have a huge amount of freebore, but I cant imagine why in a 270 winny. Good Luck.

It isn't uncommon for factory rifles to have exessive freebore. Your barrel is most likely fine. Not all cartidges preform best with the bullets just off the lands. If it is a hunting rifle, just load them as long as you feel comfortable and so they fit in the magazine.

After reading MT4Xfore reply it got me to thinking that maybe my numbers were off. I double checked them over the weekend and sure enough I posted the wrong numbers. Here are the correct numbers.
Nosler Balstic tip: MCOL 3.460"
Nosler AccuBond: MCOL 3.500"

** MCOL= The length of the shell measure from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet when the ogive is seated on the lands.

My magazine will allow a maximum shell length of 3.405".

I guess all that I can do now is try putting a couple of them together at 3.400" of less and see what happens.

40bull

all my guns like the accubonds about .010 off except my win 270 it like them to be jumped. I would play with them seated far enough to fit the clip and see what happens. I have had 2 differ 270 and they both liked to be jumped don't know why they just do.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.