Ballistics Programs (Web based & Downloadable)

Does this professor(or whatever) actually shoot?
What Peja program?

I wonder if anyone has tested various software solutions in the field(other than whatever they happen to be using).

Dave King,

Is there a way to modify "The Thing" so that it only has the 'Cartridge Info' tab and retains the necessary calculations for drops and windage? I use an old Visor Edge PDA that runs "The Thing" throgh Documents to Go (I know, I should modernize, but I'm too cheap...) and If I change a ballistic or environmental input number, it takes about 7 mins. and alot of battery power for it to do the calculations. If I could find a way to pare down that program to the 'bare esstentials', if that's possible, I'm hoping my calculation time and battery usage would go way down. Thanks, jmden.

Arrrhhgg...shoulda messed around a bit before asking. Sorry to be a bother. It looks like I can delete all the tabs but the 'Cartridge Info', 'Ballistics Table' and 'Calculations' and still have the program work. When I get home tomorrow, I'll see if the modified version runs any faster on my ancient PDA. Thanks.

Well, I can delete all tabs in "The Thing" except 'Cartridge Info', 'Ballistics Table' and 'Calculations', and it still runs on my computer but it won't allow me to input data on the Visor Edge PDA. Any ideas?

this is very very interesting. These are some great posts on this forum. I have been a long distance shooter for about 5 years now and have been using the exbal program for all of my ballistic charts. I started using this because it was mentioned to me that this was the most accurate and only reliable one out there. I didn't even bother to look around since I bought the program and all of it's updates till now and it has been right on in it's calculations when I would go and test it in the field under all different conditions. I found this forum and this is the first post I have looked at. I plugged all of the info into the JBM link and also the Tthing like and the results were almost exactly the same as my expensive Exbal program. That is awsome and thanks for making them available to me. I look forward to other very informative and interesting posts on this forum.

2.5 miles.

Go to the first link in this thread and open it (eskimo something). Scroll down to the Maximum Range Calculator and open it. Enter your known data and calculate. I did your calculation using 1400 feet per second velocity, a Ballistic Coefficient of .15 and a bullet weight of 40 grains and a G1 drag function to come up with 2.5 miles (one mile is 1760 yards so you devide the answer you are given in yards by 1760 for the answer in miles)

I use the link and found out the terminal velocity to be around 250 ft/sec. i'm somewhat safety concious and would like to know what a 40 grain lead bullet traveling at this speed can do.-thanks

help with ballistic programs

I'm using the first program on the list. The web based, "eskimo". How would you enter a 20 moa canted scopebase. I understand what 20 moa is, but when I enter it where I think it should go, things don't change on the resulting chart. Thanks. wk

Your scope base isn't going to effect your drops, it will only allow you to make more elevation adjustments with your scope. If you're zeroed at 200 and your drop is 48" at 400, you're drop is still going to be 48" no matter what scope base you have on.

But won't this affect the maximum point blank range? I'm visualizing the scope being level, and the rifle barrel pointed effectively 20 moa upwards so the bullet path would have a start as a more upward path. I can work out the math on projectile motiion from the physics, but I didn't have enough in school to figure in the air resistance, which is huge on a little bullet. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just am trying to understand. I appreciate your help in clarification. wk

Nope, I understand what you're getting hung up on, but you have to realize that just because there is cant on your scope don't mean squat. You're reticle is centered high in the tube at close range, so in effect you're looking through your scope at an angle. You're point blank range isn't going to be effected by your bases, given a constant zero. If you're zeroed at 200 you're zeroed at 200.

Could you please make a list of the downloadable ballistics programs for PDAs? I am buying one just for the field and would like to know what programs both free and purchased are available. I see the exbal and nighforce systems but they seem so pricey. I do most of my ballistics work at home on Shoot 2.3 but would like a PDA in the field to do some detail work that could convert to clicks.

any help would be appreciated. Also if you knew the hardware requirements that would he helpful since I am looking at some older PDAs that wouldn't kill my budget if ruined.

thanks again

Lucas

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.