Ballistics Programs (Web based & Downloadable)

Dave, I just downloaded The Thing only to realize"I think" that I need excel to open it? My "puter is asking me which program to use to open it. Any help please? I do NOT have excel on my computer. Thanks Sam

Sam in VA.,

Just in case you have not figured this out or gotten the answer from someone else, yes, you are correct, the spreadsheet is in Microsoft Excel. You don't necessarily have to have Excel to open it (as several other programs can open .xls or .xlt files) but you will need a program that can open this .xls file.

EZ

NZ Varminter,
Downloaded your Acess file. Wading my way through it and trying to figure out where to start inputting my information.
Nice program.

For your "old clunker 486" there's a pretty nice program called PCB 18 that is DOS based. The last time I tried to find it online, it took 10 dead ends, but I did finaly find a copy. I think I searched for "Free Ballistic" on Excite. If you don't find it, E-Mail me and I'll attach a copy to my reply.
Coyoter

Hi Dave,

I just modified 2 mo ago the "pejsa ballistics.xls" ballistic software, for different power zoom, and MIL DOT.
If you are interesting i can email to you guys.
All I need is your email address.

PS: I used this one and I'm so happy, and mils corection are great and precise at different distances.

Thank you
300rum

"pros"/"cons" to these programs?

just getting into the longrange family, im interested in some opinions on whats best for predicting trajectory.

Thanks

Dear longgunshooter

I just forward the excel file to your personal email
Let me know if you got it.
Please let me know if your scope have MILDOT and what is the power, to adjust the file for your scope settings.
At witch power 10x, or 20x or 24x a mildot is 3.6 inch @100yards at your scope?

Thank you
300rum

hey thanks.

i just replyed to your e-mail with a few particulars on my rig.

...did you kill a Bear? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif pics.. pics... pics! (if possible??)

regarding the black bear, ooo man what a story.
I was planning the trip for long time ago, and I was driving to the Rockies (Alberta, close to British Columbia border).
I was in the position with 1 hour before sunrise spotting and glassing all the area. Verry chilly (-4 Celcius), no wind. about 8 am I spot a dark "rock" under a tree.
For the first time I just "pass" ignoring because it was no moving, and at the second glassing at the same spot "SURPRIZE". A BIG MOVING "ROCK"
I could believe - I found a nice bear, but far far away from may spotting place, in verry remote area. Quick I just try to find the distance ith my Bushnell Rangefinder, and It was 1000yards.
To far for me, so I decide to try to get closer.
I pact ant hit the long road thrught the deep icy forest.
After 2 hour I could get closer 300yards from him.
He never move from that area, eating all this time.
Nervos, and with emotion I tryed to find a good resting position, but no chance, because the terain configuration, and the tree between me and the bear.
About 7 minute I just looking and moving down to hell to find a perfect spot, trying to do not make nosy.
Finaly I got it, not the best one, but at list something.
I was looking at him for about 15 minute.
It was a nice dark brounnish- black color, with cinamon nosller.
It was so fat, the ears looks round (at first time I got scare, because here it is ban on grizzly), and his belly almost to the ground.
No doubt it was a nice black bear, but with a BIG PROBLEM.
How can I get him out from thear, because It was a very far remote area deep in the forest, and 2 hour runing, climbing thru the rocks, and tree, no trails..
I check in my mildot scope to see how big it was at chest and it was 2 mils @300yards verry close to 21-23 inches.
Not bad., So finally I decide I will try one shot, waiting for him to faceup to hell. (Wrong decision).
Slowlly I aim him, between the front left leg and the ribs, and I press the triger.
Big and laudy noise, and I so how he just stops, turn the head in oposite direction, and after 1 second he jump in bushess and disapear. I did not have enought time to try a second shot. He was to fast.
At first second after, I could believe? Did I miss or what?
I decide to wait 10-15 minute, because If I hit him I do not want to encounter a wounded bear... alone on his site.
After another 1 hour i hit the site where i so him.
Looking around for traks, and blood, but all I could find it was just the tracks. NO BLOOD. What the ..... hmmmm? I start looking around, and looking, and searching. Nothing.
I was already tired, and no bear around. I start follow the track and after 10 minute I lost him in the forest. The ground it was with to much rocks, and stones, and I lost complete the paw tracks.
Uffff, what a day.
After all this hard work, I lost him.
From 11:20a.m. the time when I decide to return, I was back to my truck at 2:00 p.m.
Long very long back road, following the RINO120 GPS track, to return at camp.
I was tired, and frustated, but release. I DID NOT LEAVE A WONDED BEAR IN FOREST.
I tryed everything, I did the best, but I MISS.
And all this preparation, all this time shooting at 300-400-500yrd from bypod, with good groups, and MISS at 308yards.
What a day!!! What a day!!! My hunting friends will laungt at me when I will told them the story.
But at list I HAVIT A CHANCE, and a wonderful hunting morning, and after years, I will still remember this day.

Over on Benchrest forum, last week an aerospace rocket engineer ( there really are some of them ) posted his comments on the various ballisic programs. Of the thousands or so technical words used, here are the simple conclusions he reached: If the correct BC is used and ALL OF the atsmopheric conditions are entered ( hello Kestrel) , he has found Prof. Art Pesja's program to be the most accurate.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Don't have dog in this fight but I do use Pesja myself. Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.