Ballistic tip fails

jeff 300

I shoot a buck at 359 yards out of my 300rum with a 150bt in the shouder and the the buck ran 550 yards and was alive 2 hours later when i found him. then he jumps up and runs 200 more yards before he gives up. when i finally find him 7 hours later it looks like the bullet blew up on the skin and the shoulder and never made it to the other shoulder with no exit. what the hell happened? i have never had this happen before. but this was the first BT i have used and the last. but on a brighter note the buck scored 156 6/8. i have a pic of the buck but i have no clue how i get it on here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've found that Ballistic Tips like a slower entry speed. Run those puppies into something too fast and they seem to become varmint bullets. I'd stay under 3,000fps for impact speed on a BT.

As a not, I did kill an elk with a 180 Nosler BT and it appeared to perform perfectly. (300 Win Mag, fair distance, impact in the mid to low 2,000fps range.)

Jeff,
I agree with Dave on this one,at the velocities you are driving 150gr B.T.'s at you have transformed your big game rifle into a varmint rig. I dont think even 180B.T.'s are the answer for a 300RUM. try the 180gr Accubond or better yet the 200gr Accubond and experience "bang flop" from your big game rifle or if you want to leave it as a varmint rig try the 125grB.T. it blows the heck out of prairie dog's at 4000fps.
UB

The problem is not the ballistic tip per say but the weight of the ballistic tip you used and the round you used it in.

With nearly 100 gr capacity you need some bullet weight. Bump up to a 180 gr Ballistic Tip or better yet a 180 or 200 gr accubond and you will get much better performance.

I suspect you impacted the shoulder on that shot? Light bullets in the big rounds is a plan to get results just like you got. Its not the bullets fault.

Had that bullet been in a 308 win or 30-06 or even 300 Win Mag I suspect you would have dropped that deer in under 100 yards.

The 150 gr ballistic Tip is not a shoulder busting bullet anyway, in any caliber for that matter.

Try more lead and you will not be disappointed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif! These big rounds will also generally become much more consistant with more bullet weight as well so its a win win situation.

Kirby Allen(50)

I personally can't believe that a 150 grain balistic tip didn't drop him in his tracks. I shot my elk this year at 75yrds with an ultra mag pushing a 180gr. ballistic tip and it broke both shoulders and exited. I've also seen 55gr balistic tips drop deer in there tracks with no movement along with the 70gr ballistic tip out of a 243. I cant believe yours didn't perform well. In fact I was thinking about dropping down to the 150gr ballistic tip for deer out of my ultra mag. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the balistic tips.

How long have those bullets layed around? sounds like an old box of the original bt's before nosler revamped them. the old bt's were tender especialy in 30 cal.
RR

Jeff,

Failure there was and the ballistic tip involved ,
Jeff was the problem, now problem absolved .

Jeff, just pointing out that bullets don't " fail " . They perform according to the engineers model. The failure is on our part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yup! , we be the culprit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif When someone uses a bullet for any purpose it is that individuals responsibility to match the bullet " to the application " , .....................cuz , the bullet can't do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jim Brown

Jimm

WOW!! That was diplomatic!! I can tell you like to shoot things between the eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How true you are though. Bullets (generaly speaking) dont fail. When you try and exceed their limitations they become unpredictable. The 150 BT perfoms great out of a 308 win or 30-06 or even the 300 Win mag IF NOT driven fast.

I shoot the 200 AB. I think that is the ideal wt. for the RUM. A 180 would be my second choice.

The question isn't what or who's to blame, it's what is to be done now. All of the above advice is sound. Bump up your bullet wt. The 150 Btip is a good bullet for the .308.

I'll have to agree w/everyone else. Ditch the light bullets and pick up something 200 + grains for the RUM. No point in burning all that powder unless your pushing alot of lead!!!!

To post a picture of your deer you need an intermediate host such as Hunt 101. Set yourself up a membership for free Hunt 101

Upload your picture to that site from your computer. It must be in jpeg not bmp. It must not be too big or else you will need to crop and other tricks.

Once you get that far the rest is pretty easy.

On this site there are instructions but mostly what you should do is to start a post or reply. Below the text box that you type in you will find the "instant graemlins" and "instant UBB codes" on the first line of UBB codes is "image". Left click on it and a image link box will appear.

Now then open up a new window and go to Hunt 101 and bring your picture up. In the boxes at the bottom of the picture is a box that says "Image link" . Copy that and then come back here and paste it in the image box from this site. Do not get 2 HTTPs or it will screw up.

Here is a picture of my deer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Didn't run very far. Easy to carry out and very tasty.

352611.jpg

Are you sure he's not just "playing opossum!!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.