Ballistic software and effectiveness

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 7mmstwuser, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 7mmstwuser

7mmstwuser Active Member

Im looking to see what programs everyone is using and how they like them? Any input is helpful! I'm also looking for somewhere to buy a complete set up.

My other question is How much does temperature affect the shot. Reason being I went and shot my 338 Lupua at 600 yards and figured 8.5 MOA put me on target and I shot a 1/2 MOA in 75 to 80 degree weather. But just two days ago I went and shot at 600 yards in 45 to 50 degree weather and I needed 13 MOA to get on target.

Will a ballistic program help me with this problem.

2. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

3. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

If you input accurate info, it will output scary accurate info. You need accurate velocity, temperature, barometric pressure and humidity and drag model with appropriate BC, scope hight, zero range ect...... All these need to be very accurate to receive accurate results.

Now, 4.5 MOA of difference at 600 yards from one day to the next in even your extreeme temp change is a way more than normal. With a loss of 100 FPS from colder temps, which is WAY overkill AND the denser air combined, you should not be any more than 1.0 MOA difference between 80 degrees and 50 degrees at 600 yards. In short, NO, ballistic software will not help this issue. It can and will help you with many issues but not the issue of 4.5 MOA at 600 yards. First make sure your scope is set right and that you didnt miscalculate something. Once you figure all that out, then the software can help you better.

You asked how much temperature affects the shot. An example would be using your rig with a 225 accubond at 3000 FPS with a 250 yard zero gives you a drop of 8.75 MOA at 600 yards near sea level in 80 degree air. Change nothing but temp to 50 degrees and it 8.95. So 0.2 MOA for 30 degrees at 600 yards. Now at 1K it changes exactly 1.0 MOA. Barometric pressure has a big affect as well but still, 4.5 MOA difference at 600 yards is something else.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  4. grit

grit Well-Known Member

4.5 moa at 600 would take a whole bunch or radical changes. Extreme differences in conditions and incline.

Sounds like you have another issue of some sort. Unless there's a bunch of info you're not telling us.

5. 7mmstwuser

7mmstwuser Active Member

Sorry guys,
    I guess I needed to say that I don't have a ballistic program now and need one. I was using data from my friends program when I shot at his house in Mississippi the first time I shot my rifle at 600. This time I was shooting in south Louisiana and the temp was colder. So I guess things did change a good bit. Could that combination of colder temp and altitude make that much of a difference? I guess I'm still not understanding how? I really need to know who has a good program and PDA combination that I can buy or know somewhere I can buy all the things that I would need.
    I have a kestrel 4500 and I think all the other information that I would need to input into a program. I guess I need to also maybe get a log book and start keeping up with everytime I shoot and the condidtions.
    Thanks

6. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

4.5 MOA is WAYYY out of bounds for just a slight temp or slight elevation change. Since you shot at 2 different locations, did you use exactly the same type bench, rest etc.? Maybe you used a harder (bouncier) front rest at one of the locations?

AJ

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Great Point! I have seen this my self when I had a 1" foam pad under the back of the stock. Group returned to normal elevation when pad was removed.

Jeff

8. 7mmstwuser

7mmstwuser Active Member

I guess that could be the difference. The first time I was on a bench using a front and rear sand bag and didn't have a muzzle break on my rifle. The second time I was shooting from the prone position with only the front supported with my caldwell tackdriver sand bag, and had a muzzle break installed. Shooting positions make that much of distance?
    If so what shooting position is the best for all hunting situations and practicing. Note that I live in South Louisiana and hunt in Mississippi. Finding a nice high location to sit and observe from is not very easy.
    The extent of my observation location would be a nice cozy box stand looking down a pipline or highline. The farthest I can shoot as of now would be around 750 yards., So I'm trying to figure this out so that when I decided to make the shot it will be a good ethical kill.​

9. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Shooting positions can cause a difference, but the real difference I suspect is your muzzle brake.

AJ

10. Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper Well-Known Member

+1 A muzzle brake usually doesn't affect group size much, but it will affect POI. That's the culprit.

11. 7mmstwuser

7mmstwuser Active Member

Good point! I had a true 300 yard zero that I verified before the brake. But after the brake was installed I didn't have any where to shoot 300 at the time so I just shot it at 100 to make sure it was still on left and right.
    I noticed it may have been a little lower than I originally suspected it to be but didn't pay it much mind. I will go back and check my 300 yard zero next trip out.
    The first time I shot the gun to start sighting it in with out the brake I was in the prone position. That didn't last long after ten shots I just couldn't take it anymore. So I got back on a bench to finished sighting it in.
    I should have had my brake on from the get go but there was a hold up at SIG Arms. It took me 6 months to get it in.
    By the way I'm shooting a Blaser Tactical 2 in a 338 Lupua. It's been a very sweet gun to shoot so far. I should have just had Shawn build me a 338 Edge though. I love this gun and will enjoy shooting it, but sometimes I don't think it's very practical to carry hunting. Probably weighs in around 16 lbs or more and bulky. I've found that hunting out of box stands that some people build their windows just to tight to even take a shot using it. Limiting me to certain stand positions.

Thanks to everyone for your time and help with the responds.