Ballistic Gel

Festus

Just wondered if anyone has experimented with ballistic gel. Cabelas offers a kit now to make the stuff and I just found another outfit that seems to be even better. It's called the Bullet Test Tube [www.thebullettesttube.com] and it can be reused over and over. Cabelas says their product can be reused up to ten times. You can order it with extensions that will catch bullets from the RUM's and presumeably from the EDGE's, MOAG's, Allen Mags and Thunder's. I 'spect GG could put a 225 gr. Accubond into it at 1K yards.
The other neat thing about it is you can measure the wound cavity by pouring measured volumes of water into the cavity. It has captured my interest.
Festus

Just got a fairly nice batch of the Test Tubes, will let you know how it works out when I get some bullet into it. Have to compare a few different match boollites for something I am woking on, will shoot the Test Tubes as well as some other mediums.

According to their website, the test tube is $69.95, the ultra mag extender is $69.95, the expansion material is $9.95 (might need two of those), the test tube mold is $13.99, and the extender mold is $13,99. You would also need to pick up a crock pot, or you could use your wife's if you're brave. The pot they recommend is only about $25 new so you might even be able to find one at a garage sale. It needs to have a capacity of 6 qts.

Looks like it would take about two bills to get set up.

I'd sure appreciate reports from anyone impementing this system with details like ease of use and convenience.

Festus

Ian,
Have you tried the test tube yet? I'm curious as to what parts are ruined after each shot as opposed to what parts are reuseable. I suspect the test tube and extender(s) will be ruined after each shot as they need to be split in order to find the results and extract the bullet and/or fragments. If this is so, I wonder if we could figure out how to build a reuseable tube like a clam shell or something that is split but can be reassembled and refilled. Any thoughts after having looked the system over?
Thanks, Festus

Good post Festus. You found a good thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GG,

W/a couple of chronos BC is not guess work and now terminal performance will be observable.

I'm bettin' a 250 gr 338 bullet at a decent velocity will need a water container after the extender to catch the bullet @ least at 200 yds.

It will be interesting, to say the least.

Festus,
I have been traveling but am home now for a while. Will be shooting the Test Tubes tomorrow at a variety of distances. I have a writing job that they will work perfectly for.
Don't know if you are aware but it looks to me like the media is basically candle wax. Easy to melt, easy to work with. I will keep you guys informed as I use it the next few days.
You are correct - the first useage involves cutting up the outer cardboard tubing, we will create a new container and I am planning to get some steel plate involved to ensure center hits out past 3, 4, 500 ? yards.
Shooting a variety of match boolits into it - have a column to write on the use of those evil BTHP's for hunting. They bounce off game don't they? or is it they blow-up and merely shave-off a bunch of hair - not sure which is better BS.

Ian,
Are you allowed to disclose where this column will appear? I'm anxious to hear of your experiences. Didn't mean to be impatient.
Cheers, Festus

I write the Guns, Ammo and Optics column for North American Hunter mag. Guns, ammo and optics about covers it, wouldn't you say...

Shot the Bullet Test Tubes today at 100 and 200 yards with 175 HPBT, 168 A-MAX, 155 A-MAX, 180 Accubond and 150 Remington Corelokt Ultra. Did not cut all of the tubes open since I wanted to get the shooting finished.
The wax material stops bullets quickly - the tubes are 9-11 inches long and we did not have any two-tube pass-throughs. Usually stopped about 11-12 inches. Wound cavities very graphic, easy enough to determine. Bullets seem fairly easy to spot and recover. Got several tubes with bullets in them , now to open them up and see what the bullets look like.
More to come.

Ian,

In an effort to lower the cost of use, do you think it would be poosible to reassemble the two halves of the test tube and securing them with large hose clamps for re-use?

Thanks, Festus

Festus,
Probably get a bunch shoot out the split seams.
If you surround the one containing the gel with a second one,
offset the seams & used a few draw bands...might work.
Several wraps of rope or flat tie down straps might work even better.

DK

Good post! I have a box built to test the bullets that I make and have used various AVAILABLE materials to test. I haven't used the commercial stuff because I shoot a lot and thought it was kind of spendy. I would, however; like to hear what some of you think about the Gel. One thing that I have tried that works fairly well is the stuff that absorbs xxxxxxxx times it's weight in water (turns to a gel and you can use it forever) Sometimes I mix various media with it such as hydro mulch to change the consistency. All these things change the bullet performance. It's good to have a setup to shoot into that you can simulate hide or bone if you want. Keep testing guys!! It will change your views on some of the premium bullets; especially at long range! I use reduced loads in my '06 to test 1000 yd. performance with my 300 ultra and shoot point blank......Richlightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts