Ballistic Coefficient Question

I would probably opt for the SMR brake out of those selections. Why is it that these don't direct as much noise to the shooter? Are they as efficient as some of the others like the Defensive edge or Muscle Brake? I have heard the JP's are pretty good too.

I guess the thing with the brake is it's sole purpose is recoil reduction and I guess I would probably just have to get used to the noise and get over it.
There is a very slight forward angle to the ports. As far as the recoil reduction it makes my 7mm STW Winchester Sharpshooter kick about like a 243 even shooting 160 and heavier class bullets. I can see my impacts from a hundred yards to a thousand.

There may be some that give a little better recoil relief but not appreciably so.

The JP's give great recoil reduction but the blast to the shooter is horrendous.

Overally the SMR brake is the best I have ever tried and I've shot probably 20-30 different styles of brakes over the years.

The JP's give great recoil reduction but the blast to the shooter is horrendous.

I've shot probably 20-30 different styles of brakes over the years.

In all due respect you obviously have not shot the JP Tactical Compensator then.

There is zero "blast to the shooter" so sorry, I have to call a HUGE BS on this one. I shoot one all the time and have set up probably 20 rifles with them from 6mm to large cased 30's. They look good, great recoil reduction, you can clean them and the muzzle with them installed, no dirt storm, and zero felt percussion, and the noise is not as loud as many I have tried.

Sorry man I think you have the JP mixed up with the Vais.

Jeff

In all due respect you obviously have not shot the JP Tactical Compensator then.

There is zero "blast to the shooter" so sorry, I have to call a HUGE BS on this one. I shoot one all the time and have set up probably 20 rifles with them from 6mm to large cased 30's. They look good, great recoil reduction, you can clean them and the muzzle with them installed, no dirt storm, and zero felt percussion, and the noise is not as loud as many I have tried.

Jeff

Do you guys wear hearing protection when hunting? I know that most of us probably do for practicing, but when it comes to being out and about and hunting, do you carry ear protection? I don't, and I really don't want to in all honesty. Boy would it be nice to carry a beasty ole magnum and have the thing tamed like crazy. That would be pretty sweet.

Do you guys wear hearing protection when hunting? I know that most of us probably do for practicing, but when it comes to being out and about and hunting, do you carry ear protection? I don't, and I really don't want to in all honesty. Boy would it be nice to carry a beasty ole magnum and have the thing tamed like crazy. That would be pretty sweet.

Yup, I have plastic earplugs on a string or plastic line that I hang around my neck.

I developed tinnitus a few years ago and I don't shoot any rifle, braked or not, without hearing protection.

Yup, I have plastic earplugs on a string or plastic line that I hang around my neck.

I developed tinnitus a few years ago and I don't shoot any rifle, braked or not, without hearing protection.

I kinda figured. I might have to just buy a set to go around my neck, and try it for a while to see if I can get used to it or not. I have a 7RM, and if I would have done it the smart way to start with, should have bought a 300 win mag in my own personal opinion. But now that I have the 7RM, I might jump my next gun to a 300 RUM and I don't really want to shoot that without a brake I don't think. I would buy a win mag, but I guess I would like to make a little bigger jump than that I guess. I wish they still made a 338 RUM Sendero, but a guy would have to find a used one of them. I guess a guy could go for a Savage 338 Lapua and see what happens. Who knows. Got a while to think about it anyways.

Jeff
No BS Jeff, we're talking about two different animals.

JP - Recoil Eliminators

I do, but in all honesty I rarely have time to put them in for most of my shooting. On the rare occasions I'm sitting in a bland or doing a stalk I have them and certainly will have time to put them in.

This is why for me how a brake is made and where the blast is directed is a huge consideration.

I kinda figured. I might have to just buy a set to go around my neck, and try it for a while to see if I can get used to it or not. I have a 7RM, and if I would have done it the smart way to start with, should have bought a 300 win mag in my own personal opinion. But now that I have the 7RM, I might jump my next gun to a 300 RUM and I don't really want to shoot that without a brake I don't think. I would buy a win mag, but I guess I would like to make a little bigger jump than that I guess. I wish they still made a 338 RUM Sendero, but a guy would have to find a used one of them. I guess a guy could go for a Savage 338 Lapua and see what happens. Who knows. Got a while to think about it anyways.
When you look at the ballistics of each you will in fact find that the 300wm IS a big jump up from the 7Rm.

Very true. Also been in the back of my mind to just get it reamed to a 7mm/300 and give me a little extra time to decide what to do once I burn this barrel out. hahaha I think the extra pop I would get, along with good reports on barrel life from this caliber, and the ease and cost of brass would be a great little gun. Always something going on in this small brain of mine!!!! haha

No BS Jeff, we're talking about two different animals.

JP - Recoil Eliminators

Ok Great, I have not used the Recoil eliminator. When I read your post where you stated " JP brakes" I took it as you were referring to all JP brakes. So I felt we should note the difference.

The JP Tactical compensator shown below is a very friendly brake that works well so I should have known.

JP - Compensators - Bennie Cooley Signature Series

Thanks for clarifying that. And who would use one of those howitzer type eliminators anyway...:D

Jeff

Ok Great, I have not used the Recoil eliminator. When I read your post where you stated " JP brakes" I took it as you were referring to all JP brakes. So I felt we should note the difference.

The JP Tactical compensator shown below is a very friendly brake that works well so I should have known.

JP - Compensators - Bennie Cooley Signature Series

Thanks for clarifying that. And who would use one of those howitzer type eliminators anyway...:D

Jeff
I've shot the Bennie Cooley Brake as well. Have one on my M1A. It's not pleasant to shoot either without hearing protection but indeed we were talking about two different animals completely.

The Howitzer type brake is unbelievably efficient in recoil reduction but you better be wearing good glasses and double hearing protection when it goes off.

Very true. Also been in the back of my mind to just get it reamed to a 7mm/300 and give me a little extra time to decide what to do once I burn this barrel out. hahaha I think the extra pop I would get, along with good reports on barrel life from this caliber, and the ease and cost of brass would be a great little gun. Always something going on in this small brain of mine!!!! haha
To be real honest the 7mm x 375Ruger sounds very interesting to me but it's not like there's any shortage of great 7mm's out there already.

But if you shorten it down to about 90gr of h2O capacity you have a really nice beltless magnum that will work in standard length actions so there is some appeal there for both 7mm and 7.62 wildcats.

I've installed and ran all of the brakes in question, not one would I shoot without hearing protection, there is no brake that you can shoot without hearing protection unless your not protecting much then you'll get away with some.

The JP is excellent recoil reduction in the 7mag/300 Mag size case capacity, no air blast to the shooter in the least and excellent muzzle control.

The Muscle brake is one I like a lot because of the baffle design, no blast at the shooter and maybe a little softer on the hearing but still no where near running without ear plugs. I do drill holes in the top as needed to control muzzle flip a little better.

Hollands are what I like on a factory barrel install, they are effective brakes and control the muzzle well, the finish matches factory very well and is a nice install.

Those are the three I install and run, all are hardened brakes which I prefer so I can keep the tolerances close and not have the first baffle get pounded closed.

You can always go with a nice muzzle cap if you want to hunt with the rifle unbraked and it will work well and look very nice at the same time.

In reply to the original post, to clarify things here. There's been a lot of this is better than that discussion here without many actual numbers quoted.

I'm going to use Hodgdons load data here, comparing like with like, to save any high pressure handloads being compared with factory velocities etc etc. I know exactly what we get velocity verses pressure measured with the Oehler 43 Ballistic Lab for all these options, but for the sake of transparency we'll go with Hodgdon's latest data off their website. And our data differential pretty much matches Hodgdon's anyway, even if we are loading to higher pressures and velocities.

In the 7mmRM with the 180gn Berger G7BC of .345, Hodgdon list 2920fps for 59,600fps with 71gn of Retumbo.
In the 300WM with the 208gn A-Max they list 2915fps for 61,300psi with 81gns of Retumbo. They don't actually list the 215, but in our experience you will loose about 50fps to 75fps from the 208 to the 215 (the general rule of thumb is 100fps per 100gns of bullet weight for these sized cartridges), so lets choose the lesser velocity loss and say 2865fps. G7BC .356
With the 230gn Berger G7 BC .38 for the Target (the OTM is .368, but we'll assume the higher BC of the Target), they say 2774fps for 61,300psi with 72.6gns of 7828.

If you run these numbers there is very little difference in trajectory and wind drift to 1500 yards between the 180gn and the 215gn. The 180 drops slightly less than the 215, and drifts ever so so slightly more. If you assign the same pressure for both (remember we had 59,600psi for the 7mm verses 61,300psi for the 300), which will have the 180 doing 2940 odd fps, the 180 will drift identically to the 215 to 1500 yards, with less drop. Beyond this the slightly higher BC of the 215 will start to edge it ahead.
As far as actually hitting your target in the first place, there is nothing in it between the 7mm RM with the 180gn Berger and the 300WM with the 215 Berger.

Yes, the 215 will have an energy and weight/diameter advantage that theoretically is an advantage in terminal performance, all else being equal. And it will have a slight theoretical barrel life advantage, about 6% more. But it does have quite a bit more recoil, around 30% more.

When you step up to the 230gn then it beats the 180 and 215 in the wind, at the expensive of more drop, and a bit more recoil again.

That puts some real numbers in this debate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts