Ballistic Coefficient (BC)

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do my best here. The lead placement is focused around balance and terminial ballistics. For example take a partition. The partition is placed where the bullet will balance with the lead on each side. The BC benifet is minute however the balance will help the overall aerodynamics which is to say, if a bullet is balanced it will overcome forces better or rather maintain itself. The rifling stabilizes the bullet by spinning the bullet if the bullet is balanced the bullet maintains better. A good example of what I am trying to say(rather poorley) is shooting a 80 grain .224 bullet out of a 1:14 twist barrel, the result is unbalanced due to a to slow of rate of twist, the bullet doesn't spin properley "as it was designed" therefore doesn't ballance.
I'm sorry that is the best I can explain the lead/placement thing.

As for the hollow points and plastic tips here is my shot at it. BC, simply put is how well does the bullet shead drag as you earilier stated. The plastic tip and the soft point closes any void and allows a point on the bullet to more effeciantly "cut the air" so to speak this reduces drag. So why is the hollow point so darn accurate with that drag producing hole in the front? How this works has alot to do with relative wind speed, supersonic aerodynamics and this is a subject that could keep me writing all day , so I will spell it out as simply as I can. The HP creates its own "airpoint" the air entering the hollow point becomes stagnet,and builds pressure, the pressure extend forward compressing the air ahead of the bullets path. The lower pressure around the bullet flows around the bullet as if it had a sharp point on it. This "airpoint does two main things It creates a sharper point but more importantly stabilizes the nose of the bullet. You may have seen that some people uniform the meplat on hollow points , If the meplat is not uniform the bullet will not create a centered "airpoint" so to speak. I know this is not explained real good but it is the best I can do with a computer right know. Hopefully this helps a little if it doesn't reply on what your questions are and I will try again.

RH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
If you haven't read in the hunting section there is a quiet instrusting issue that comes up in the post titled sheep hunting rifle. I have written a little in that post about BC

[/ QUOTE ]

If the above is true... please explain:

The Lapua 155 gr Senar is one of the best long range bullets around - it weighs 155 grains, but is as long as a 190 gr Sierra MAtchking.

The whole front half is HOLLOW - lead doesn't even start until half way back.

I think you need to rethink your "balance theories". They have nothing to do with bullets or ballistics.

You might rethink your theories about hollow points, accuracy and drag at the same time.

I was out shooting last night after work. I was shooting .300 Win Mag 168GR Triple shocks with 78Gr Reloader 19. My 3 shot group was 3/4" at 100 yards. I am sure if I played with this a bit I could possibly tighten this up a bit, and I am going to do this once the season is over. I do not have a chrony, but I think the velocity should be around 3200 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.