Bald Eagles and Hooded Mergansers

Discussion in 'Nature Photography' started by Len Backus, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Recently I spent two weekends on the Mississippi River photographing out of a blind. I knew the eagles would be concentrated there in large numbers as they migrate northward. I had seen reports that the ice was out in the sloughs paralleling the main branch of the mighty Miss. Ice out means the grocery store is open for the fish-eaters. Much of my wildlife photography is similar to hunting. Study the critter's habits, the layout of the land, figure how to get close, know your equipment, practice with it. And then spend tons of time in the field and hope for the best.

The first shot in this series is of a Bald Eagle. Still pretty low light level when an eagle landed on a small chunk of floating ice upstream from my blind just after dawn. I swung my 600/4 lens toward him to watch as he started working on a fish. Then I realized he was going to float right past me. He did just that at frame-filling distance. Pretty unusual to be this close to a wild, non-habituated Bald Eagle.

Other mornings, I got some pretty rewarding flight shots of eagles feeding in the river. Kind of like connecting on a big buck at 700 yards. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Ok, I am trying this thread again after my Smugmug hosting site tech gurus gave me some help. But...I did save Ian's last minute reply to the previous thread before I nuked it.

I get little blue boxes with a white question mark in the middle. Is that because I am Canadian? I feel discriminated against, not getting the red one - not sure what a browser is (Uh... moose are browsers, elk are grazers, is that it) - who can I sue???

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Len, there be birds here!!

4. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Len,
    That is a relief, I thought I nuked your beautiful images /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Len Backus,
    Truly beautiful work! I did spend some time just
    staring at the photos.

Thanks for sharing!!!

6. coupalr

coupalr Well-Known Member

I had a Bald eagle fly over me yesturday when I was shooting gophers. I was wondering what had scared the geese up and when I could not see any coyotes around I looked up and saw him.

Those are beautiful pictures Len.

7. Misfire

Misfire Well-Known Member

Those shots are awesome.

8. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Not to down play the eagles, but man those hoodies sure are beautiful birds!!!

9. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Not to down play the eagles, but man those hoodies sure are beautiful birds!!!

10. redbone

redbone Well-Known Member

Len

All of them Pic,s should be in print.

My kids love them more .

Redbone

11. 1kstr

1kstr Well-Known Member

Wow! Great pics.
    1kstr

12. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Bald eagles and raptors are one of the great success stories of our time. You do a great job with a camera. The last time I tried to take a picture of an eagle flying all I got was a blue sky.

13. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Awsome photograpy Len, That first pics just magnificent. The first thing that drew my eye was the definition of that eagles eye ball. I really like the way the lighting sets off the second pic of the young eagle.

btw hows the knee doing? Dosen't look like it's slowing you down.

14. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

huh......not sure whats up...i still can't see them, maybe it's because I live in oregon? hmm something wrong with canada and oregon?