Badger Ordanance action !!

James Jones

light bulb I have been waiting on one of these for what seems like a few years but only about one or so. I have been planning a replacement of my working tactical 308 thats built on a Rem 700 and fully blue printed and after waiting on Marty to get everything lined out and figuring lke everything else in the gun industry when sombody says a 6-8 week deliverly time they me 30 weeks I got impatient and ordered a Phoenix Machine reciever and PT&G bolt , got all that in and shipped it to "308nate" to have a Broughton barrel screwed on it and I was planning to to bed it into a Manners T4 adjustable stock and finish it out with Seekins base and rings and bottom metal.

Well low and behold Marty has delivered his actions on time so I had to dig deep into the "wife doesn't know fund" and put my name on one. So now I guess I'll just have two well built 308's

Here is the badger action , this thing makes the Surgen look like a lean light weight , everytime I look at it it reminds me of and M1 Abrams tank part or somthing.
Ijust wanted to give you guys a heads up on these as they would make an awsome platform for a super rigid LR deer or varmint rig.

The action is a 6 lug desgine using two sets of three lugs giving it a short 60 deg bolt lift , and it'll use remington trigger and bottom metal.
No idea of when a long action will be available but I'm gonna start saving now for a 338 Lapua build.
Badger.jpg

Badger2.jpg

That is sweet. How did you like the pheonix action? I ordered two from 308Nate yesterday.

I am sure it will be a strong and rugged receiver like all BO products but I have to wonder about a couple things.

- Why so bulky?

- Why not an integral rail base?

- Why go with that multi-plane bolt lug design?

- Why go with a flat bottom receiver? At least it does appear to have draft angles on the side of the receiver which will greatly aid in bedding ease.

I am certain there were reasons for all my questions as to why they did what they did, just hope the same issues with the MkV wby receiver does not come and bite BO in the rear!!!

It is a hell for stout looking receiver though and I am sure they will make a hell of a shooter!!! The tactical boys like alot of weight in their rifles so this is probably why weight was not a concern.

"eddybo" , I realy liked the Phoenix reciever , the PT&G bolt slid in their realy smooth and tight (not like a Bat but at less than half the price!!) I ordered my bolt at .700". I realy liked the heavier rem tang and the fully round smaller port desgine along with the longer thread tennon. I'm sure this rifle will make a fine shooter , Nate is gonna chamber it with a 308 Palma reamer so that I'll be able to feed some VLD's from the mag as well as shoot factory ammo.

Kirby , from what I've heard the Multi lug plane desgine still allows more than 80% lug contact , supposedly this if from all machined rather than cast or forged then machined. Not sure I haven't got my paws on it yet. I'm not exactly sure why he diden't make the piccatinny rail on the action like Surgen does , maybe so you can change from 0 deg cant to 20 or 40 or whatever , most police sniper rifles hardly ever or never get shot past 300yds so their is no need for a canted rail on some. The box/flat side style desgine is supposed to help in the rigidity of the action along with the flat bottom I think was to help the action fit to a machined bedding block , but like I said I have't talked with marty at length about it but I do know that their was ALOT of input from the tactical community on its desgine. And yes its heavy supposedly a full pound more than a similar sized Surgen !!

I've already got the wheels turning on what stock i'm gonna use , Manners is making some T4's in this inlet and McMillan has several that can be inletted for it. I'd like to try an AICS. I'm putting a T4 on the Phoenix 308 build I've got going , I realy like that stock.

The Manner T4 is a great stock. I have one on my Heavy Tactical 338 AX with the Cross adjustable CP. I think I like this stock better then the McMillan A-5, at least as well anyway.

Keep us posted!!! She will be a hell of a rifle for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.