Baddest .338 on a 700 Action

buckbrush

I just received a 7 RUM Sendero from a friend who has completely shot the barrel out and no longer has a use for it.

I want to rebarrel in a 338 of some sort that will give me maximum performance while being able to use this action and stock and keep it a repeater with a Wyatt's magazine.

I've read lots on the Edge and Lapua/Lapua Improved. I've heard of a 338 Tejas and other improved versions on the RUM case.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot for any info.

I just received a 7 RUM Sendero from a friend who has completely shot the barrel out and no longer has a use for it.

I want to rebarrel in a 338 of some sort that will give me maximum performance while being able to use this action and stock and keep it a repeater with a Wyatt's magazine.

I've read lots on the Edge and Lapua/Lapua Improved. I've heard of a 338 Tejas and other improved versions on the RUM case.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot for any info.

The Lapua case is a bit much for the 700. The Edge is very proven with H1000 and 300 SMK's. You will save ALOT of barrel life by loading 300 SMK's and starting at 87 grains or so and working up. You WILL find a sweet spot shortly after.

just get the 378 wby case, that's the biggest you can go with the 700. Lapua's can also be built. hope you have a crome moly action. if not i'd stay with the rum case.

Do a search on the Edge. I think you will find that Shawn has shown that the seating depth issue doesn't demand seating out to 4.000. Also optimal velocity is approx. 2800fps, not 2900. I believe that will require an Improved Lapua case. The extra cost of brass, dies and action work on the Remington action for use with the Lapua or the 378 Wby case make you a candidate for a custom action, ie. Stiller, Lawton. Surgeon, or Pierce. If that extra 100fps is worth it, then why not go all out to an extra 300+ and just talk to Kirby about how to get that.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. Given the cost (as stated) of a Lapua improved, especially the dies, I think I am going to do an Edge. I can buy a lot of brass, bullets and powder with the money I save.

Thanks.

Talk to Kirby about the .338 Ultra Maxx, it's based on his 270 Allen I'm running the 300 SMK at 2960 fps with mine.

PS I'm running a stainless action as well.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. Given the cost (as stated) of a Lapua improved, especially the dies, I think I am going to do an Edge. I can buy a lot of brass, bullets and powder with the money I save.

Thanks.

With the loading data available, ease of getting brass and the phenominal accuracy potential, there is no doubt that you will not be dissapointed.

The trend around here is that guys are getting 1.5ish inch groups at 700-735 yards with the 338 EDGE and 300 grain SMK's fueled by H1000. Not every group obviously, but the best ones are phenominal. It gives you some insight into the potential of the cartridge.

Talk to Kirby about the .338 Ultra Maxx, it's based on his 270 Allen I'm running the 300 SMK at 2960 fps with mine.

PS I'm running a stainless action as well.

That's smokin. How's your case life at those velocities....not meaning to hijack the thread, but this very well may answer the original posters question.

Four and five reloads so far. but those velocities are with a 30" barrel. also the barrel was treated with guns juice before it was ever fired, don't really know if it made a difference or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.