Bad Scouting Signs

I think we are all keeping this good hearted and to me this has been a great conversation.

Heres an idea, there used to be grizzlies in alot of California, I am sure we could round up some of the offspring of the two 700 lb bears that have been trapped here on the rocky mountain front just 40 miles from my home and send them down and let them do whatever they want with no restrictions.

I am totally up for this. I think dropping a bunch in the mountains around the San Francisco Bay Area would be good to help regulate a spicies there that is getting out of control.

In fact they call us hunters the problem even though its us and mostly solely US that have brought every game species back from the bring of extinction to the extremely healthy populations we have today.

If one realizes that the whitetail deer was once nearly wiped out by the whiteman its hard to believe but its true. Now, the most heavily hunted game animal in the world by far, is the most populous as well. Why, Because of hunters $$$. Its not the environmentalists that are putting on billions of dollars every year for conservation programs and game management areas or territory purchasing to protect game animals for the future, its human hunters.

This is one of the things that ****es me off the most. One of the biggest success stories is what Ducks Unlimited has done up in the breading ground in northern canada. The libbers do not put any where near the money or time into wildlife management because they really do not have as much encentive in my opinion. We are the ones that live all year to go out and hunt and want to keep it that way for our children and grand children.

Sherman

Read the stories by Nash Buckingham, One of the fathers of modern game conservation. He started hunting in the late 1800-early 1900s a time when market hunting was still in full swing. His battles to get bag limits and other hunting regulations passed are one of the main reasons we have ducks and geese to hunt today, throw in doves for good measure. IMO the current hue and cry against us started way back then and is reinforced every time a hunter has an accident or worse still, does something really stupid. I need not provide examples, we have all seen it happen. The press are doing what they do, If it bleed's it leads! Rattlesnakes and scorpions do there thing too. Our future is truly up to us! Fiftydriver has an excellent idea for those two grizzlies, just call ahead so they can get all the PETA people,treehuggers,lawyers,etc to arrange a welcome party for the bears. I'm thinking a nice clearing in the wood's ,build a nice fire(sorry tree huggers), and while they release the bears in the center everybody links arms and sings KumBaiYa while wearing porkchop pants.

SES50,

Amen!!!

Add the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and North American Wild Sheep Foundation to Ducks unlimited as well.

Libbers bitch, we produce!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Shorty,

Good Idea but we can do better. I can not remember how many times you see something on the news where some enviornentalist has a 5 gallon bucket of beef scraps, blood, fat and other stuff they get from some slaughter plant for the sole purpose to sneak into some press conference and throw it all over some government offical.

Better idea, chain them all together, each with a 5 gallon bucket of beef blood and fat dumped all over THEM!!! Then let those big rocky mountain front grizzlies loose. THEY LIKE BEEF!!! Hell, can ya blame them though:D

Kirby Allen(50)

Wow, glad to know Eastern N.C. is not the only place with "stupid" animal rights environmentalacks. The Red Wolves were reintroduced in N.E. North Carolina a few years ago and are killing everything but the big bears. The wolves are easy to spot however, because the D.O.C. put large bright orange collars on them. I met a man downeast a few years ago that owns a big farm in Terrell County, he found a wolf, with a tracking collar, dead in his driveway, apparently hit by a car. The man reported the wolf to the D.O.C. and within an hour or so there were 3-4 black suburbans and 1 or 2 helicopters in his driveway with many Federal agents questioning him. All the man did was report a dead wolf and the feds wanted to arrest him as if he had done something wrong.

Some of these environmentalnuts seem more worried about perserving animal life than human life.

Hey Buffalobob ,

Just want to say i saw a red wolf in texas around 1978 -somewhere south of texarcana .

It ran across the road in front of me early in the morning -when you see a wolf you know it ! People said ' it was probably a big coyote =nope it was a wolf w/a very reddish rusty colored coat.And had the wolf gate and run to.
I feel fortunate to have seen it.

I saw some wolf tracks in the sw idaho desert over the weekend -i'll post a picture when i get more time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In May there were coyote tracks everywhere -now there is no sign of a coyote -no tracks or scat.

I camped out friday night and rolled out saturday morning well before daylight and hiked to a rocky canyon about 1.5 miles away.
I got to the spot before daylight and sat on a big hillside waiting for it to get light enough to see through my scope.

I let a long mid-tone howl go and heard some strange sounds down in the sage [300ish yds] a little to my left ,it was a small herd of 7 wild horses.
I gave it 3-4 minutes and howled again -no distant coyote responses -no nothing just the horses staring at me and stirring around a bit.
I did this 4 times then howled w/ another howler in another direction ,then added some fawn bawls w/ 3-4 minutes between calling series.

I heard the horses start making a ruckus big-time the stallion started running in small zig-zag patterns in front of the mares ,then the mares stood almost shoulder to shoulder and the only colt stood facing backwards -backed up between the mares.
All the horses stared down a ravine and acted wild making snorting sounds and stomping their feet.The stallion was running over sagebrush and making sounds like i've never heard a horse make =loud.
He was slinging his head blowing ,rearing his front feet up 3' and stomping the ground and a big mare came out and started doing about the same thing.

I looked the same direction they were looking w/ my little zeiss binos but never saw a thing ,i'd give 3-4 second fawn bawls only ,but still saw nothing.

After the horses settled down - i slipped over the hill for a look-still nothing.
When i walked down into the bottom where the horses were looking i found fresh wolf tracks.
It had stayed in the ravine then slipped out , i couldn't figure out if it had come up to the top and looked for the sound or not.But there was one spot where the tracks were pointed in every direction ,i think the 700lb stud scared him off.
The wolf would have been 200yds from the horses and maybe 250yds from me.
Might have been one big-*** yote !

Picture of track w/ 25-06 round.

DSCN0104.jpg

I've never herd of a red wolf before here in ok but i have seen a big red yote in the area i hunt. The only red one i have ever seen. He doesn't come to call anymore since i educated him with about 3 misses. I still run across him every now and then but can never seem to get a shot off before he gets away. He has gotten my dad,brother and I all worked up because he always gets away. We came across him one time chasing a doe around when bow hunting he came within about 25yrds from me running by. I'll get him one day

Frankly all of the completely self-centered, self-interested talk of eliminating all predators like the only purpose of elk and deer existing is for hunters to target through their crosshairs is disturbing. It is exactly this attitude that will ever keep us from having an effective voice against antis. Honestly, I find the attitudes of some of the posts here every bit as extremist as the liberals.

There's a National Park called Isle Royale in Lake Superior. It is an island, a closed ecosystem except for once every 20 years or so when the lake freezes. During one of these freezings mid-century, a pack of those nasty, can-kill-a-herd-of-elk-by-looking-at-them-crosseyed Canadian timber wolves crossed over.

Isle Royale gets too much snow for deer to survive; moose are the only large game on the island. With a captive herd of moose bogged down in the snow all winter, you'd think an expanding pack of wolves completely isolated from being hit by cars or any sort of human predation or competition would have quickly exterminated all game on the island (according to the purported characteristics of the wolf on this thread anyways). Instead, the moose population is primarily regulated by moose ticks; when the moose get too crowded, the tick population explodes and they die of anemia. Sure, the wolf eat some but they do not exterminate the game like you claim is hunting out west.

Though a serious hunter myself, I get very skeptical every time I see hunters wanting herds managed only according to their interests. Without exception, hunters want game numbers managed far above the true carrying capacity of the landscape. Apparently rather than actually "hunting", some simply want to go "shooting" at the game animal behind every tree. In southern Michigan I actually had to hunt when I was a kid...I got 1 or 2 deer a year and felt lucky. The last few years I lived there, I hunted 2-3 days in the entire year and got 8-12 deer. It felt more like market hunting to fill my extended family's freezers than real hunting. Hunters were happy, but car-deer accidents were phenominally high, farmers' crops were getting obliterated, and the forest ecosystem was in ruins as anything green within 6 feet of the ground was stripped bare.

I wholeheartedly agree that if wolves are to be part of the Western ecosystem, there NEEDS to be hunting to maintain balance. This whole concept that there is some sort of natural balance is flawed, and any sort of balance there used to be is now impossible with human input and encroachment. This is where the liberals' plan is fatally flawed; there MUST be hunting, just like the Parks can't really be successfully managed without hunting.

Just a lil rant...

heres a lil tidbit for us all.....I live within 3 miles of one refuge within the Theadore Rosevelt wildlife refuge complex....and all the others are within 30 mins....granted these are not huge refuges but are big enough for deer turkey and duck hunting.....back to the tid bit...you must fill out a pink card daily and leave in the box (the wildlife officers will remind you to drop off your card) the amount of federal money to the complex is based on how many cards (public use) are turned in annually. By the way a permit is $12.00 a year.

So am I wrong in saying that the welfare of the refuge and animals in it are only cared for as much as the hunters fisherman and outdoorsmen...decide to use these properties?

One M/L hunt (the only one for the year) opened on a friday not alot of hunters that day, it rained everyday for the remainder of the hunt (9 days) non stop....do you think they got the needed money for the next year? NOPE!

Our new problem is Hogs on Hillside I never saw a hog on hillside till last year ....went for a little ride last week in the afternoon saw over 50...Anyone interested in a bow or M/L hog hunt let me know!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.