Bad news for Wyoming elk herd....

szeitner

Although I haven't heard specifically what the numbers are for Idaho and Montana, I do know they are very low. Unless they agree on a method to control wolf depredation, I fear we are going to see huge losses to our herds. The following was copied from this mornings Billings newspaper:

JACKSON — Wildlife managers say the number of elk calves per 100 cows on the National Elk Refuge is lower than what is needed to sustain the Jackson Elk Herd population.
Wyoming Game and Fish and National Elk Refuge personnel counted nearly 16 calves per 100 cows on the refuge during the annual elk classification count Feb. 13.
Last year, they counted 22.4 calves per 100 cows.
Biologists said 25 calves per 100 cows are needed to sustain the population of more than 11,000 animals.
Biologists cautioned that they have not yet tallied elk counted during flights over other winter range in the region.

Just like Yellowstone had 20,000 + at times to what? Is there 3-4000? Rooster probably knows. I had my hunting phone survey and they did not want to here anything about the wolf. Siting ,tracks

Just like Yellowstone had 20,000 + at times to what? Is there 3-4000? Rooster probably knows. I had my hunting phone survey and they did not want to here anything about the wolf. Siting ,tracks

All 3 of us recently have had our phone surveys . My wife , son and I were all asked about wolf sitings and we reported them. Along with where we seen tracks.

I hope this means they are taking a closer look now.

Jeff

One of the units I hunt was about 12 calves/100 cows back in 2009 according to the head wolf biologist here. He said the herd hadn't been self sustaining for a few years prior that as well.

Some charts from Idaho....

Attachments

• Lolo_10_elk_2010.jpg
    Lolo_10_elk_2010.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Lolo_12_elk_2010.jpg
    Lolo_12_elk_2010.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 136
Hopefully Wyoming will have the ability to deal with their wolf population sooner than later.

I hear you there, it's frustrating at best. As you stated, "the ability to deal with our woof population..." sadening to me. Our state, our game... our hands tied by bureaucratic bs & red tape. We're getting there & I'm fairly happy with how we are approaching the issue, with any luck WY hunter can start posting pics of our new furry rugs...:D

HSUS and the other antis are winning guys, better plan on hunting in Canada where they control wolves, africa or ole Mexico because hunting here int he states as we know it is done for............only CO is holding out but they almost got wolves and will within the year

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.