Bad Glass in Sightron?

Nope.. I do mine super tight and no issues..

Till it goes slack then back it off 1/2 turn isn't it?? :D

I can't believe that you can jam the internals with overtight rings....

Jamimng the internals is not the only thing that can happen with over tightened rings. The power ring can also get in a bind and be hard to turn. 12 to 15 inch pounds. I would not go over 15 inch pounds.

Jamimng the internals is not the only thing that can happen with over tightened rings. The power ring can also get in a bind and be hard to turn. 12 to 15 inch pounds. I would not go over 15 inch pounds.

Yeah, and the power ring on the SIII is already hard enough to turn. I'm gonna have to be careful when I mount this next week.

Re: scope ring torques

Exactly right. Scope tubes can actually be permanently deformed if you get carried away torquing down the rings on the scope tube. It doesn't matter the brand of scope. The rings don't need to be any tighter than to keep the scope fixed from slipping. If 15 inch-pounds won't hold them then you may need to lap the rings or apply some Loctite or some other friction increaser to the surface of the scope tube/ring interface.

All excessive torque will accomplish is damage...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.