bad experience with shillen

dogdinger

Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single
dont really want to flame anyone here but i am gonna tell about my experience. after having decided to use Jerry Tao's advice and build my own long range rifle, i ordered a shillen barrel back in march. i was told 6-8 wks for delivery. after 2 months they sent a letter saying they were ready to start chambering and needed to be paid. they charged my card on 06/06 and told me 2 wks for delivery. i called today and was told they had employee trouble and that it was back to 6-8wks. so after 4 months on a 6wk promise im back to 6 - 8 wks. i was very dissappointed to say the least. i called douglas and was told they could deliver in 3 wks so i ordered the barrel from douglas and cancelled the shillen order. i already have my dies, brass bullets etc....just waiting on the barrel. just thought i should share this....AJ

aJ

Dont feel bad that is good information!

Every business has problems at times but they should do
everything possible to meet their commitments.

I use a lot of Shillen barrels and cannot ask my clients to wait 2 or 3 extra
months ,if that happened to me I would have done the same as you.

Lilja has been the best about meeting delivery dates.

I hope this not a sign of things to come. I would hate to see one of the best
become one of the worst.

Worried
J E CUSTOM

I hate to hear you had a bad experiance and cannot blame you for taking your business elsewhere.....but I have had nothing but positive experiances from the 5 or so barrel orders I have made with them.

I receive barrels from Shilen at least once a week. They are ordered in a timely manner and are received the same way. I'm sure there is more to the story than just an order screwup. Shilen barrels works night and day (2 shifts) to supply the barrels that are ordered.

Shilen Barrels

I have been using Shilen barrels for 18 years. I've ridden, with them, through all of the family and pesonnel drama. They are now back on the top of their game. Mike and her crew are a pleasure to deal with and their product remains excellent.
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune but, I'm sure that with some calm discussion it could be remedied.

Perhaps Shilen is meeting the demands of those of you who order multiple barrels, on a sometimes weekly basis, but not really worrying about the individual gun owner just wanting a single barrel for his rifle?

Why would a single barrel would take them 1-2 months to deliver, especially after charging his CC on June 6th, when they are delivering multiple barrels every week to someone like Dan C above?

Scott, on a few occasions I've wondered the same thing.

About a year ago, JE Custom and I went up to Ennis to visit their shop. We learned several things. 1, They had plenty of work. 2, Everybody knew what they were doing, except; 3, The guy on the contour lathe was hogging too much metal off on a single pass and the exteriors showed it. 4, They were gauging the bores like they say they do. 5, They do lap all stainless barrels by hand. 6, Every time they get in a new batch of barrel steel, it takes several trial barrels, and sometimes several days to get the dimensions and tolerances exactly like they want them, and they don't quit until they get what they want. 7, Ed Shilen was there the day that we were. 8, David Robinson is an excellent contact for questions (or tours).

To date, my most accurate rifles have #7 Shilen Select Match barrels. From .031" to .091" groups, including 2 big boomers.

If they had a barrel I needed, I have used a Shilen. If they didn't, I would probably order a Lilja. If Lilja says 8 weeks, you can stand out front and watch for the truck. Shilen may or may not deliver on time.

I've never ordered a pre-chambered barrel from them, but when I had a delivery slip, I called David to find out what was going on.

AJ, What is happening to you is not good business, but you will get a good barrel out of it. Meantime, they need to give you a straight answer.

Good shooting, Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.