Backpacks?

I've had a Badlands 2800 for about 6 months and love it. I haven't logged as many miles under the pack as I'd like, but from what I have so far I love it. It has a unique batwing design that acts like a large day pack with a ton of compartments until you need to pack meat/quarters/basecamp/etc. and then the "wings" open up and the load carrying system goes to work. As far as quality, it appears to be top notch. They also have a no questions asked warranty.

Good question. On my pack with the positioning my particular positioning of the top and hipbelt 'attachment points', with my body type, the rifle ends up angled upwards across my chest from the hipbelt. Each attachment point is adustable by a few inches up or down so that hopefully some adjustment that works for you can be found. I don't have a 'big' scope, just a Vari-X III 4.5 x 14 on a one piece Picatinny Farrel base with MK4 med. rings, but the way mine is slung, I believe a larger scope wouldn't be a problem.

My brother bought the Gun Bearer seperately and has it attached to his Lowe pack. His setup tucks it back more like in the Kifaru pics, which I don't like as it does seem to restrict movement a bit.

I've got both hands completely free and unimpeded with the setup at the moment. It will move/swing a bit side to side, you know, if I was running for instance, but that just doesn't really happen. No system is perfect, but this one seems to work. Good luck.

I also bought the gun bearer seperately and attached it to my Mystery Ranch pack. I turn my rifle around so the scope is facing away from my body. Both hands are free, and the rifle doesn't bother or limit me in any way.

I also bought the gun bearer seperately and attached it to my Mystery Ranch pack. I turn my rifle around so the scope is facing away from my body. Both hands are free, and the rifle doesn't bother or limit me in any way.

I have done the same thing with my external frame hunting backpack. The Kifaru gun bearer isn't a perfect fit, but turning the rifle so the scope is facing away from my body provides the best fit on my pack also. And I have a pretty large scope - an IOR 3-18x with a 35 mm scope tube diameter.

Mods to Kifaru Long Hunter Hauler--might give someone some ideas...?

These are some shots of a new packbag I made for this pack. When I first purchased it, I bought the cheap $50 pack bag and didn't pay the extra $250 or so for the integral packbag Kifaru offers. The cheap packbag from Kifaru has worked OK for hauling big loads, but it's not even coated nylon, so it leaks and it only has the one attachment point/compression strap per side, so the load is not as controllable as it could/should be. This new pack is very cheap to make and will control the load much better.

2853114220068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

Shot of 'integral' fleece pack cover. Quiets the pack down considerably when working through trees/brush.

2324583610068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

$20 packbag if you sew it yourself

2542963220068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

close up of upper compression strap.

2211257690068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

Attachment point slot for top and bottom of new packbag

2785592940068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

Attachment point for middle compression strap. This was the only attachment point for the 'cheap' Kifaru packbag.

2306641630068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

Detail of top of pack. With the silnylon 'inner seal' open and extended, the pack bag is approx. 8000 cubic inches. Another 1000 cubic inches in top flap.

Anyway, an option to consider for those of you that may be considering a Kifaru Long Hunter that have some sewing experience.

Last edited:
Eberlestock j104

Like some other posters, I can only recommend the j104. The new dragonfly is similar with a detachable top pocket, but is way more expensive. This pack is beyond burly. I have packed out 5 bulls, 4 mulies, and 2 pronghorns with mine. It will take anything you throw at it ... anything! Eberlestock has an excellent no questions warranty and gaurantees the bag will carry anything you can strap in or on it and get it on your back. This pack is the single best piece of gear I have. I also have the Jim Horn Canadian pack, and it is awesome, but the j104 is in its own league. I see some questions about the Kifaru's rifle carrier. There are no questions about the j104's rifle scabbord, I swung around a corner of a trail to come face-to-face with a small herd of elk last season. With just a grasp of the stock, my rifle was at the ready in my hands, silently, with my j104 still secured on my back. The scabbord holds my sendero with a 6.5-20 X 50 mark 4 nicely. Since I've started using my j104 (3 seasons) 6 of my hard-hunting friends are sporting Eberlestock packs (j104 and j107). It is a great pack that becomes a greater pack when you load it with meat, cape, and antlers.

Like some other posters, I can only recommend the j104. The new dragonfly is similar with a detachable top pocket, but is way more expensive. This pack is beyond burly. I have packed out 5 bulls, 4 mulies, and 2 pronghorns with mine. It will take anything you throw at it ... anything! Eberlestock has an excellent no questions warranty and gaurantees the bag will carry anything you can strap in or on it and get it on your back. This pack is the single best piece of gear I have. I also have the Jim Horn Canadian pack, and it is awesome, but the j104 is in its own league. I see some questions about the Kifaru's rifle carrier. There are no questions about the j104's rifle scabbord, I swung around a corner of a trail to come face-to-face with a small herd of elk last season. With just a grasp of the stock, my rifle was at the ready in my hands, silently, with my j104 still secured on my back. The scabbord holds my sendero with a 6.5-20 X 50 mark 4 nicely. Since I've started using my j104 (3 seasons) 6 of my hard-hunting friends are sporting Eberlestock packs (j104 and j107). It is a great pack that becomes a greater pack when you load it with meat, cape, and antlers.

That's great that you found a good pack for you, bitbull.

I don't own and haven't used an Eberlestock, but I have questions'about the way their rifle scabbard is mounted. For instance, how does the setup go through the trees and brush cross country sticking out the bottom and top like that? My rifle in the Kifaru Gun Bearer is right at my hand and as it crosses my chest, I can see it and guide it a bit, and since the system is adjustable enough so that the barrel does not go extend above my head when walking, it rarely gets caught on anything. It also seems to me that the movement required to get a rifle out the Eberlestock pack would scare away that small herd of elk around the bend in the trail before you could get off a shot. The Kifaru seems like it would require much less body and rifle movement to get it on target quickly. The Kifaru already has the rifle in an across the chest configuration and with one small and quiet pull on a piece of webbing, the rifle is ready to put to the shoulder. You'll seem 'em demonstrating shooting claybirds with a shotgun from fully secured Gun Bearers in a video.

I'm sure Eberlestocks are great for you, they just appear heavy, bulky, and too 'gadgety' with all their adjustments and add-ins to me. JMO. But, everywhere I go with my Kifaru, I've got anywhere from 1000 cubic inches to 9000+ cubic inches at my disposal without 'adding' anything and the whole setup probably weighs at least a couple of pounds less than the 'stock' J104. Adding additional parts to the Eberlestocks would add more weight to it. Kifaru's come from a long line of technical mountaineeing equipment married to hunting where the theme is lightweight and strong. Eberlestocks seem like they look as though they came from the military where most things are heavy and strong.

Only reason I made the pack bag above was that I was too cheap to buy one of Kifaru's many sized LongHunter packs. I bought the Long Hunter Hauler (see the platform--does Eberlestock do that?--throw it down, put a quarter on it and go--it's very secure and works very well--or I could put the quarters in the packbag if I preferred that for some reason) and the Kifaru Duffel which doesn't connect at all to the pack like the LongHunter packbags do. The LongHunter Packbags are vastly superior. I was just too cheap. So I made something that will work much better than the duffel without costing another $250+.

Do you live close to Missoula? I spend quite a bit of time there visiting my wife's relatives. And, every fall I wished I lived there as her relatives have an elk and bird hunting 'establishment' bar none...:rolleyes:

I would also vote +1 for the Eberlestock. I have owned the J105 two seasons now and I just love this pack. The J105 has now been replaced by the J107 Dragonfly. The quality and engineering from Eberlestock is outstanding. I have also packed out elk and mule deer with my pack. The feature that most empresses me is the rifle scabbard. The rifle is easy to remove and I like that the rifles weight is located close and to the center of your back. I think this feature is a big advantage over many packs. Go in light... come out heavy!

response to jmden

jmden, thanks for the reply. It seems we may be in similar spots. Both of us love our packs and have not tried each other's. It seems as though the Kifaru is a very nice pack and very adaptable. I'm also glad you found a pack that works for you. The Eberlestock website lists the weight at 6.8 lbs. Mine is not that heavy. I weighed my j104 at just over 6 pounds. I encourage you to put an Eberlestock in your hands and you will discover that it is anything but complex. It has three main pockets and the expanding compartment. There is little need to "add on" anything, although the 11 ounce spike camp duffel is nice to have in some situations. It does take some movement to get your rifle out of the pack, but it is quick, quiet, and no, it did not spook the elk when I removed my rifle. I can not stress enough how much I like the scabbard feature. I do not use a sling on my rifles anymore, as it is unnecessary. The stock does extend a few inches above my head, but it rarely causes any trouble in the field ... in fact I am struggling to think of a time I caught it on anything. The barrel likewise extends below my waist, but it really is quite out of the way. I can remember tapping it with heel of my boot when going over a jackpot of deadfall, but I wouldn't even think that makes the threshold of nuisance, and would take it over struggling with my slung rifle any day. The scabbard is truly a "Why didn't I think of it" feature.

I also want to assure you that putting meat in the expanding compartment is quick and easy - just slide it in and buckle three straps. And there is no need to empty your pack. Carrying a heavy load with the meat in this compartment, right against your back, is the most comfortable way to pack out quarters that I have found.

I am looking for someone with a Kifaru to lend me one for some field testing, as I am always looking for better equipment. Until then, though, the j104 is going on my back, and I'm going looking for the big bulls in the bad spots.

BTW, I am somewhat near Missoula, although I try to avoid it. I don't know what you may have heard, but there aren't any elk left around here... really ... tell your friends

"BTW, I am somewhat near Missoula, although I try to avoid it. I don't know what you may have heard, but there aren't any elk left around here... really ... tell your friends"

I'll have to get my hands on one of those Eberlestocks...

Oh...right. I think they go 'elsewhere' to hunt. ;)

I am a believer of the badlands 4500 pack. I am a military guy,former infantry,sniper etc...and have spent ALOT of time in the field. I have had blisters, back pain you name it. This pack has never failed me. I have two 10 day hunts coming up and this coming season. This is the pack that will be on my back. I have heard good things about the Kifaru. I have never had to try it though.

I am a believer of the badlands 4500 pack. I am a military guy,former infantry,sniper etc...and have spent ALOT of time in the field. I have had blisters, back pain you name it. This pack has never failed me. I have two 10 day hunts coming up and this coming season. This is the pack that will be on my back. I have heard good things about the Kifaru. I have never had to try it though.

I've heard some claims that the zippers on the Badlands 4500 don't hold up well. Any issues with the zippers on your 4500?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Nimrod pack, one for bowhunting,with double bow hooks, binos clip off shouder straps,lazer,etc. Then I have one set up for rifle, these are modular packs, with a clip on rifle carry system. Which I dont use because I am in grizz country alot and I use a safari sling with rifle at ready.Plus the sling rides across both shoulders and keeps hands free for climbing,glassing

I've owned and used badlands,eberlstock, blackscreek, and mystery ranch. Mystery Ranch is hands down the best pack I have ever owned.

I've heard some claims that the zippers on the Badlands 4500 don't hold up well. Any issues with the zippers on your 4500?

Thanks in advance.

I have had to replace the pull-tabs on the zippers on my smaller, newer Badlands packs with knotted cords. Almost every one of them has broken in short order. I haven't had an issue with my 4500, but I only used it on one trip. They look and feel sturdier than the smaller pack zippers though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.