Backpacks?

RockZ

After some of your recommendations it looks like the Kifaru are the best. They are a bit more expensive than others. Just like my nightforce scope!

I have also looked at the eberlestock packs and the Just One packs look like they would fit the bill as well.

How do the J104 and J107 compare? They look like just what I was looking for. They are expandable and are made for hauling out meat also.

Thanks

Last edited:
The biggest difference is,

The J107 has an adjustable torso. The J104 is basically a one size fits all. My hunting partner used the 107 this year and he loved it. My first two years I used the 104 and I'll never wear it again. Just doesn't fit me well.
But, It is very well built and absolutely No CQ issues. Oh , to give you an idea . I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs. and the J104 just never fit me as well as it should when your going high, back, and possibly out heavy.

I would take a look at the Mystery Ranch backpacks, designed by Dana Gleason from Dana Designs.
These are also on the high end of the price range, but I haven't found anything better, IMO. Especially for hauling meat/horns.

A good buddy of mine and I both have a J104 eberlestock pack. Between the two of us we have packed out two 6 foot black bears, packing the hide and meat out in one trip, my buddy packed a full boned out elk in his, there have been several deer and one antelope packed out as well. In addition to all the meat, we had all of our gear as well. I pack a spotting scope and tripod, that each have their own pocket on the J104, along with water, food, knives, saws, game bags, extra clothes, rope, fire starter, and sometimes my kitchen. The rifle scabbard is very handy and I would not go without it. We are both around 6' tall and 200 lbs, and don't have a problem with the pack fitting comfortable. The J107 is newer and I think better. The eberlestock has a bunch of extra accessories that can be purchased to help with going on backpack hunts. I believe that the Eberlestock Just one is the best all around pack on the market!

The Kifaru line has the 'Gun Bearer' rifle toting system and that by itself is a tremendous item, not to mention the rest of the pack. I don't think there is a more comfortable way to pack a rifle or a way that you can get a rifle into action from a secured position faster than Kifaru's Gun Bearer. Don't forget either they are built to your body measurements. Not sure the others do that. I spent several years packing upwards of 130lbs of gear cross country off of wildland fires where we made our own packs, so far have spent 20+ years mountain climbing and backpacking and several years of backpack hunting. The Kifaru Long Hunter Hauler, in it's various configurations, is the best combination of technically advanced features designed for hunting that I have yet to see. Good luck.

I like Gregory internal frame back packs. I debone my game and put it in plastic garbage bags. In the pic.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/nawakwawallace/46905x5-elk-heading-back-to-cam.jpg?

I have around 100 pounds of meat in my pack and have haled a nice size cow elk in one trip deboned bake legs, front legs, back straps, tender loins, and neck with bone. The Gregory pack is comfortable I would go to a good back packing store and get fitted with a hi quality back pack put some weight in the pack and see how it feels before you buy one.

I got a Gregory internal frame ultralight mountaineering pack for my day trips. I used to ahve a soft pack back pack for day trips but it would nto hold all of my long range gear. The Gregory is very comfortable and very light (ultralight) and the frame does not allow stuff to poke you in the back. It is tall enough for my body and it will hold my spotting scope and tripod inside.

The chief draw back it that is blue.

Asfar as Eberlestock goes i have used the Skycrane, Dragonfly, and Gunslinger. I would lean away from the Skycrane unless you have ALOT of stuff to haul. the gunslinger is great but until you learn to pack ONLY what is necessary you may run low on supplies on a long trip ( currently i apparently cannot pack only what is necessary:D). the dragonfly is my personnal favorite for a compromise of size and weight. it is internal frame with a large stuff pouch on the back and side compartments. you can also attach a secondary pouch to the back that i intend to use for packing out game if the sun ever shines on my @$$!!!!!:D

havent used any of the other packs but i hear good things about Kifaru and Mystery Ranch.

How do the kifaru bearer and the gunslinger work with big scopes??

The pics in Kifaru´s page are of a small scope, ..does the system rely on the hunter carrying the scope objective under his armpit??

Will they be comfortable fopr climbing with both hands? Looks like the kifaru may tend to allow the rifle to swing or move more, maybe get in the way?

For my day-and-a-half pack I have come to really like The Black's Creek (Jim Horn Signature series) packs.
Jim Horn Signature Packs | Blacks Creek Guide Gear | The Hunting Pack Masters
I have used the Canadian for two seasons now and have packed out a number of whitetail and antelope with this pack. I also used last year when Steve and I hunted elk and mulies.
This company may not be as popular as some mentioned, but I can't do anything but brag about this pack. For a number of years I have been looking for something to fit the bill and finally found it.
I wanted to spend two seasons with it before I said much.

packs

Kifaru as the best? Well if it fits you well then it is the best. They tend fit leaner thinner people better IME.

Yes Im a Kifaruite. Got thier packs, shelter, access. and stuff.

There are other packs as good for hauling out camp and meat. Don't overlook these.

Granite Gear FZ7000 and Stratus Flatbed

Mystrey Ranch G-series and the NICE system

Dana Design Longbed and TerrraFrame. Discontinued. Buy one if you find one.

Osprey Cresent 110 in dark green. Down side is the they are made in Vietnam.

Kifaru EMR and the Longhunter for larger loads.

And many Alaskans like the Barneys frame hauler for large loads.

There are lots of choices out there these days and the quality is superb in most cases.

If I were serious about getting a large capacity pack for packing in a camp and meat hauling I would go to REI and order an Granite Gear FZ7000. This thing is quite large and will hold lots of meat. Check it out and load it up at REI and walk around with it. Take it home and put huge/heavy loads in it and see if its for you. If you don't care for it REI has an excellent return policy and you'll get your money back. No money lost and your out nothing. This is probably the best pack for the dollar for hauling heavier loads and saves $250-300 compared to what the Kifaru Longhunter costs.

Like I say, I own Kifaru and several of the packs listed above. Do the homework and find what fits your budget and mostly your body. For me the best I have is the old discontinued Dana hauler and I love that TerraFrame.

Just some advice from someone whose spent way too much on this type of gear.

How do the kifaru bearer and the gunslinger work with big scopes??

The pics in Kifaru´s page are of a small scope, ..does the system rely on the hunter carrying the scope objective under his armpit??

Will they be comfortable fopr climbing with both hands? Looks like the kifaru may tend to allow the rifle to swing or move more, maybe get in the way?

Good question. On my pack with the positioning my particular positioning of the top and hipbelt 'attachment points', with my body type, the rifle ends up angled upwards across my chest from the hipbelt. Each attachment point is adustable by a few inches up or down so that hopefully some adjustment that works for you can be found. I don't have a 'big' scope, just a Vari-X III 4.5 x 14 on a one piece Picatinny Farrel base with MK4 med. rings, but the way mine is slung, I believe a larger scope wouldn't be a problem.

My brother bought the Gun Bearer seperately and has it attached to his Lowe pack. His setup tucks it back more like in the Kifaru pics, which I don't like as it does seem to restrict movement a bit.

I've got both hands completely free and unimpeded with the setup at the moment. It will move/swing a bit side to side, you know, if I was running for instance, but that just doesn't really happen. No system is perfect, but this one seems to work. Good luck.

These things are great! The maker has been producing pack systems in little Cashmere Washington for at least 12 years - and they are simply outstanding.

Welcome to Nimrod Pack Systems Inc!

They seem to be a fairly well kept local secret though.

BTW - I often hunt from just an old Kelty frame pack that has seen me through many miles on the trail. Still works just fine.

Regards, Guy

packs

This is the Granite Gear Flatbed. You can put an smaller internal pack inside it and haul all the gear. Adapt a bag to it with no problem. This is about as bomb as it gets.

Awesome suspension and comfort. Big loads are no problem. Take a look.

granite gear : backpacks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.