Backpacking Handgun holsters??

spdrman

I have an old Ruger Blackhawk I use to pack around archery hunting and backpacking and I also hound hunt alot too, but it is so heavy it usually ended up in my a couple hours into my trips, well I found an awesome deal on a Taurus 444 ultralite, I fixed the weight of the gun issue, now im wondering what you guys like for holsters that are comfortable to pack around all day, all my backpacks waist straps sit right on my belt so, is there any holsters that drop down a bit?? Or I was also considering trying a shoulder holster but am worried it would get tangled in bino and backpack straps.

Thanks for the help

I just went through this exercise myself a couple months ago. The belt strap on my pack had some webbing but it wasn't thick enough to comfortably hold the hip holster I was used to.

The should holster was uncomfortable once I had my pack on and the pack's straps got in the way of a clean draw.

I ended up with a Blackhawk Tactical Serpa thigh holster. I wore it for six days straight on a backpacking trip in the Beartooths and it was the most comfortable piece of gear I had. The one time I had to draw the gun I was on target faster than my buddy could draw his bear spray.

One other reason I like this Serpa is because the holster covers the rear sights. I hit the holster twice while boulder hopping. There not a mark on the holster or the gun.

It took about 15 minutes of practice in my garage to get used to the Serpa. Now I don't think I'll use any other holster in the field.

J-man,

Are you packing a revolver around in that holster? I would like something like that but can't find anything for revolvers, as far as getting use to that style of holster I don't think id have a problem with that considering I pack a glock in the same style holster about 50-65 hours a week for work

I was packing my 460 Rowland.

Blackhawk makes the thigh holster blank and you add the cqw (may have wrong acronym) to the thigh plate. They make serpas for Taurus revolvers. All you would have to do is make sure you ordered the correct holster to mount to the thigh plate.

I called Blackhawk to make sure I ordered all the right parts to mount mine. They were excellent to speak with and went the extra mile to male sure I was satisfied. They even told me who had the best price on the parts.

Mine has room for a flashlight and mag.

Hope that helps!

I tried something on my last trip that worked pretty well. I used a standard Blackhawk revolver holster. Used a separate belt on the outside of my coat high on my waist. When I secure my backpack waist strap I hang the holster over the top of the band and it hangs on the outside. Cheap, easy and very versatile. Worked great and was very comfortable. I was carrying a Ruger Redhawk 44 so it's not light either. Still very comfortable.

Gordon

I used to carry a big, heavy Dan Wesson .44 in a El Paso Saddlery Tanker shoulder holster while backpacking. It was very comfortable and, being leather, it was a trim rig that was never in the way. I am going to order another for my 1911.

I use a Blade-Tech kydex holster for my Taurus Tracker. I had to modify it a bit to grip the gun tighter, but it works well. It is paddle-style, I just clamp it over the waist belt of the pack or the webbing, depending on the pack. I can easily take it off and put it on my hip if I drop the pack.

I like the one that I'm wearing in this pic, made by Diamond D Leather.

Gus

1271399547_img_0248.jpg

Great pic Speedo, your family? I have several similar pix with my youngest daughter, only elk instead of moose. Am taking my grandsons and oldest daughter for elk week after next.
Great holster too, very similar to the one I had from El Paso Saddlery.

Great pic Speedo, your family? I have several similar pix with my youngest daughter, only elk instead of moose. Am taking my grandsons and oldest daughter for elk week after next.
Great holster too, very similar to the one I had from El Paso Saddlery.

That's our youngest daughter and her first moose, along with my wife. My wife and I enjoy hunting and it feels good to get the kids involved too.

Gus

+ 1 on the Serpa Thigh rig. All day comfy, everything stays put on hard trails, draws SUPER fast. The OD green doesnt stand out too bad against camo either.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.