Backpack knives

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by dieselboy427, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dieselboy427

dieselboy427 Well-Known Member

Id like to know what everyone is using for knives. I have gerber,crkt, some hand makes, and just got an ESEE Laser Strike.

2. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Well, as far as I am concerned, especially if you want to go lightweight and not carry a sharpener, HAVALON. I carry both the piranta and the barracuda. You can cut up a herd with them and just a couple of blades. I always carry a heavy duty fixed blade Ruana but that is because it is sentimental and I can actually split a pelvic bone with it.

Randy

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I carry a custom long Damascus blade. It holds an edge well and lets me get into those tight areas I want to ream out.:D

Jeff

4. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Same here, I love the Havalon. My out of state guys are carrying them, my dad & uncles now too. Damn hard to beat. The heavy fixed blade still has a place for sure, but nothing in the forseeable future will be replacing my Havalon.

...In fact, I bought a second Piranta to stow in my gear bag.

t

5. midnightmalloy

midnightmalloy Well-Known Member

never used a havalon but I have heard good things. I use a benchmade fixed blade and folder and carry a multitool. Im a little anal about having a backup after some of the training I have had. Kinda like that I have a more extensive first aid kit. everyone has their quirks.

6. Outlaw6.0

Midnight there's absolutely nothing wrong with a backup. I NEVER leave home without a multitool, just some things a guy can't go without :D.

My carry knife is a Pro-Tech Monaco.

t

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

HAVALON, How about a link to the model you guys are talking about please.

Thanks
    Jeff

8. Salar600

Salar600 Well-Known Member

9. spdrman

spdrman Well-Known Member

Havalon has my vote too, I short quarter the animal when im backpacking doing so eliminates the need of a bigger knife to split bones

10. Idaho Sawyer

Idaho Sawyer Well-Known Member

Havalon piranha is the knife for backpack hunting. just a little FYI, I always carry and use my leatherman to change the blades, those little suckers can get slippery when covered in blood. I will break 1-2 blades per elk ( I bone them right on the spot and prep the skull for a euro mount). I always carry 5-6 extra blades. buy one and you'll love it.

11. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have a custom moose horn set,skinner caper.When I lighten up I pack a Strider gunner grip tit. folder and a outdoor edge caper

12. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Good point Idaho Sawyer---I started doing that after experiencing changing the blades covered in blood. You'll only do that once. Shoulda had stitches but it is truly amazing what one can do with duct tape and super glue.......
    AND be sure to get the orange handled one. These are not the kind of blades to be searching for when you forget where you left it.

Randy

13. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I use a Buck knife made for dealing with gutting, skinning and quartering. The Havalon will NEVER be in my pack, it's not the correct tool for the job and we had two guys go to the emergency room this year alone because of these things!!! They are great for skinning out the head and paws but for gutting and quartering they are simply to dangerous, IMO!

14. Outlaw6.0

+10. You only slip once :D Crazy sharp. The statement about buying the orange handled Havalon is a good suggestion also. Makes it just a little more visible when you "set it down" somewhere:rolleyes:

t