Back muscle spasm then packing out 30 days later

Metzger

I had a muscle spasm in my lower back on 8/9. I am 32 and never injured my back before. I have two (elk and mule) tags for 9/12-9/20 and will be hiking in about 3 miles with 2200' elevation gain. I am hunting solo, I am a little hesitant with my back. Looking for your input if you have had this happen to you. Also I can get a refund on my tags ($1100) if I do so in the next few days.

Buy a garmin Inreach to keep in case of an emergency - I would not let a back spasm keep me from hunting.
Been hunting solo all my life - with the introduction of the garmin Inreach texting Ability - it has opened my abilities to hunt solo even deeper in the woods!

I have bone degradation due to arthritis and injuries long ago and I don't let it stop me. Typically I take a Lidocaine Transdermal Patch with me (you can get them at your local pharmacy). If I start to get spasms I just slap a patch on and give my back a rest for 30 minutes or so and I can usually get back in the game.

I am living with severe spinal stenosis and severe spinal arthritis and get spasms frequently. One of the best stretches you can do even while hunting is basically called a "baby squat". Find a small sapling that can hold you, squat down holding the sapling and keeping you heels on the ground and your back as straight as you can. This seems to alleviate a lot of the stress in your lower back without a lot of risks. A PT gal showed me this years ago and I use it regularly. Heck even use the lally poles in basement for this stretch.

I hunted last year at 69 with back issues. Wasn't easy but glad I did it with all the crap that goes with back issue. Don't give in to it and find a way to manage it for your hunt. Life is not a given and you need to grab the brass ring every chance you can.

Get some of those 12 hour Body Warmer adhesive heat packs and place on the area of trouble. They hep a lot as well and are cheap. Get trekking poles to take the stress off your back. Lots of threads on LRH on trekking poles. I can walk for miles using them and probably half without them. If you are carrying a load, you will bless them every step you take carrying a load with them.

Wally world has really good ones on the cheap.
Link: Walmart trekking Poles

I'd plan on shooting just one critter and packing it out. In my part of the mountains and at that time of year, if I had to make 3-4 trips to get an elk out, the last two trips would probably include spoiled meat. That's just my locale and your's may be much cooler that time of year. I see no joy in killing myself on those early season hunts, thus one and done recommendation.

.........Pump up on the ibuprofen and bring some muscle relaxers..........

The over the counter label indicates 6-200mg-1200mg per day maximum.

Prescription dosing is up to 3200mg per day.

Not something to do without a bit of thought, individualizing, and true need, but could get you over a hump.

Had surgery for a ruptured disc in my lower back in 98. The lidocaine patches mentioned above work great for me when my back is out of whack. I take a twice daily dose of the natural anti-inflammatory Turmeric and it has changed my life. Stretching is also key and can make a HUGE difference. Try some back stretches and take a few precautions but don't miss out on the hunt, you may regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.