Back from the range

addie52

Well just got back from the range and some load testing with my new rifle. This was the first load test session with my rifle. I broke in the barrel earlier with some factory loads. I tested 168gr vlds with retumbo powder and think I have found the bullet and powder I am going to use. I got two good groups at both ends of the spectrum. The first was my second group which was a .416 with 71.5 grs and av 3057. The best group was my last at .355 with 74 grs and av 3207 and still with no high pressure signs. It was 40 deg out and 4714 ft elevation. I think it interesting to see how much a half of a grian changes things I went from 71-74 grs in half grain increments 4 of the seven strings were under .75 with the other three being well over a inch. the velocity also never got any higher until the last string which went from 73.0 gr av 3063 to the 74 gr at 3207.I also found it interesting that my best grp had the highest standar deviation of 21 while all the others were around 12-13. I think now I'm goin to take the two best grps and shoot them at 200-300 and also shoot another gr higher just to see what happens. Hopefully after the next session I'll have a load nailed down. Thanks agian for all the help I've gotten from this site and its members.

adam

ten thou in I wasn't trying to get that close but made an error on the depth adjustment and figured it out after they where crimped so worried about it all night and tried it at the range and it seems like its fine soo don't think I'll change it.

adam

After they were "crimped"?

Usually, crimping isn't needed with bolt guns (except maybe for large dangerous game loads) and usually hinders accuracy.........

Just a thought (I have those, now and then!!).

Cheers,
Jim

I never crimp but somewhere I think it was on this site I read about using a lee factory crimp die to get more even neck tension and therefore improve accuracy plus it keeps things from moving in the mag. I don't know if thats true or not but it sure does put one hec of a crimp on them. I may try some without the crimp to see what that changes.

adam

Adam,
Thanks for the reply--------I would like to know what you learn, if you would please post the results. The Lee crimp is a bit different from most of the others.

I bought some Rem. loads for 300 Win. with 180 Nosler Bal. Tips. They were crimped so hard that the bullet jackets were deformed all the way around the bullet--------no wonder my handloads flew straighter!!

Cheers,
Jim

Yeah i'll post new results when I get them. The lee crimp die does put a crimp groove in the bullet which was a major concern for me it says it will do it right in the instructions. I can't complian about the groups but this was only at 100 I will try the next round with and without crimp and at farther distances and see what happens. Another thing I did differently than I normaly do is used standard large rifle instead of magnum which most data calls for as per advice from a friend who said they would be more consistant. I don't know I would like to hear from someone who has experience with this. By the way I'm testing a 7mm rem mag. Thanks

adam

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.