B&C Medalist stock

1Bill

Hello,

I got a Savage Model 11 V/T 308 (bull barrel, short action, centerfeed, 4.4'', dbm, bottom bolt release) and I want to buy a B&C Medalist stock. Problem is that B&C has a stock for the blind magazine version of my rifle.

Has anyone done this before? Converting from dbm to blind? I guess I can use the box of my dbm to form the blind magazine. What parts do I need and where can I buy them?

I am in the market for a low cost stock for my rifle and I found only two... B&C Medalist Tactical (Mod. 2997) and Boyds Tacticool. I think that B&C is a more stable platform than the Tacticool. Also B&C needs less mods than Tacticool to fit my rifle and it does not need pillar bedding (it already is) or glass bedding (it uses aluminum). Tacticool needs to open the barrel channel for my rifle to fit my barrel.

However, if somebody has used both and can share the experience I am happy to talked out either of them... i.e., convince me which of the two is the better stock... My use is hunting and range shooting.

Also, in case it needs inlet due to the bottom bolt release can be done at home with a dremel (I am quite handy)?.

Finally, if I want to convert it down the road to a dbm, is inletting possible by me (the handy dremel man...) or a smith?

Thank you.

Bill

I have a couple B&C stocks which I bedded and am very happy with them. I have bedded 2 Tacticool stocks, both for my friend's Savages. The stocks are very stable, but I would not expect much without bedding them. The Boyd's inletting is very loose. Very good accuracy after being bedded. Note the Boyd's stock although wood is extremely solid and Dremel work on it should be approached with caution. The B&C is lighter in weight also. Good luck

Thanks for the input Dosh. As far as the BC is concerned do you know what parts I have to buy to convert from dbm to blind for my Savage? Also, what dremel work should be performed for the bottom release bolt?

Thanks.

Bill

Bill, have not done the conversion for Savage. Did it on a Ruger model 77 my son purchased dirt cheap which had a custom thumbhole blind mag. Was fairly easy taking time and being patient. Inletting isn't too hard if you are not in a hurry and the use of sharp hand woodworking tools. Check Numerich for parts. Good luck

Well, I guess I'm replying to myself, but it appears that this guy has placed a Savage short action, centerfeed, bottom bolt release to a B&C Medalist with no inletting whatsoever (check the comments). The only thing is that he had an internal box per stock specs and I have a dbm.

I checked that angled "L shaped" clip that connects the internal box to the rear action screw but I am afraid that this will interfere with the action... I am not sure and I do not have any experience on Savage's blind mag...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the savage dbm to blind mag conversion you should be able to remove the plastic bottom and insert magwell, spring and follower into the stock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts