Awesome Groups but fliers?

Troutslayer

I am getting .5MOA with my .300 RUM. 200 gr. Accubond, 88 gr. H1000, But... In almost every five shot group I have shot, I am getting a flier, some as far away as 2" from the others at 100 yds. Sometimes I just want to quit while I'm ahead and shoot a three shot group when I know they are all in one ragged hole. What do I do? I am getting larger groups with more charge, but no fliers.

Sometimes, the second shot is the flier, sometimes the fifth shot is the flier so I don't know that it's related to heat.

What would you do?

Overall reloading has been fun and very rewarding and I am still learning, I just want to fine tune a little bit and I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

Is it always the 4th or 5th shot? If it is, maybe cooling is an issue. Are your velocities uniform?

could be you barrel is to hot, or it needs to be clean, or as simple as you heart beat, or try different powder...

Here are some things to check.

• Are you trimming your cases. Case length differences can have an effect
  • Are you de-burring your flash holes. Improper ignition caused by a primer hole burr could also have an effect.
  • How are you weighing your powder? Are you certain of accurate weights.
  • Do you put a crimp on your finished loads. A 'factor' crimp is usually a good idea and can create more consistent pressures.
That's all I can think of. Hope that helps.

What twist rate does you riffle have? Did it ever shot nice groups before (no fliers)?

When you get a flier mark that brass. After a while you should have enough brass that is grouping. Then shoot your group with good and see if you are still getting a flier. Case capacity may rearing it's head?

When you get a flier mark that brass. After a while you should have enough brass that is grouping. Then shoot your group with good and see if you are still getting a flier. Case capacity may rearing it's head?

I like this idea and also the length seating depth. I have had this very problem. I lengthened the seating depth and my flier disappeared. You will have a different ogive length by a couple thousandths. This helped to pull in the one that was flying.

Will do on the seating depth. Unfortunately, I am loading magazine length because this is a hunting round but I will load up some longer ones to see what happens.

The rifle is new.

I don't even know how to de-burr the flash hole but I think I read somewhere that you can do it on with drill press. I am going start doing that. Anybody know where I can get a bit to do the job w/ the drill press?

Thanks for the help.

Will do on the seating depth. Unfortunately, I am loading magazine length because this is a hunting round but I will load up some longer ones to see what happens.

The rifle is new.

I don't even know how to de-burr the flash hole but I think I read somewhere that you can do it on with drill press. I am going start doing that. Anybody know where I can get a bit to do the job w/ the drill press?

Thanks for the help.

Drill press isn't necessary. Go to Midwayusa.com and look for flash hole deburring tool. There are some good ones out there. If you have an RCBS brass prep station, it will thread into one of the spinners. If not you can do it by hand. I suppose you could use a drill press, but I would becareful that you don't drill through your casing. :rolleyes:

As far as seating depth, maybe look at taking the opposite direction. Some bullets will jump to the lands well also. I have a .308 jumping 135 SMK's about .025 to .035. That is pretty far, but it is cutting a .216 at 100 at around 2800 fps. in an 18" barrel. Whitetails beware.

Tank

Tank

Last edited:
If you still have issues after adjusting your seating depth I would check the barrel channel real close to be sure there is no way the stock can touch the barrel. Make sure you lay the front of your rifle in the exact same place on the rest each shot. If barrel channel has plenty of clearance then skim bed your action. I reccomend skim bedding anyway. I've witnessed skim bedding improvements very often. Then shoot a 5 shot group with fireformed brass and see what happens. Should be good news.

Flyers are usually the result of bullet run-out, especially when your groups are that tight. After you seat each bullet place the round on a run-out gage (rcbs case master). You will be able to see which rounds will be the flyers. Correct your run-out and the flyers should group much better. Hope this helps. Capt kurt

If you could list step by step how you reload, I think we might point to the problem, things like case prep or bullet batching, I have no clue were to start, even how you measure powder, or it could be just a riffle, I spend 6 month trying to make custom load to one of my riffles and it never work doesn't matter what I tired, at the end I just sold it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.