Automatic Powder Dispensers

swpc629

I am looking at getting an automatic powder dispenser. I would like to get some opions on which is the better one. I know RCBS, Lyman, and Pact have had one out for a while. But also have seen the new one that Hornady is offering. I look at the reviews on the various retail sites and either It's the greatest thing ever or its the biggest piece of junk ever. I would like some help from people on this forum.

I have the rcbs and it works really well. I have heard a few good reports on the hornady as well. I have never used the pact or lyman, but I have heard a few complaints on them, the main one being that they are slow. If I were you I would choose between the rcbs and hornady.

I have an RCBS ChargeMaster. I contacted the RCBS service dept. and spent an hour with the tech on the phone. Learned how to reset the programing parameters so it is faster and more accurate than ever. The RCBS ChargeMaster is a Great Digital Powder Measure. I have heard some others have had difficuties with their machines and RCBS has stood behind them 100%. I have been reloading for 45 years and the RCBS ChargeMaster has been one of the best additions to my reloading equipment.

Nat Lambeth

I was an early adopter of the ChargeMaster, and seen all the efforts that went into hammering out a well working product.
Hornady did nothing but wait till the dust settled, and then copied the CM, undermining the efforts and risk that RCBS took.

So to me, consideration of the Hornady is offensive really. Yes, it's a red Chargemaster instead of green, so it likely works the same. Yes it's sold for less, given that RCBS did all work for Hornady. But if Hornady is rewarded for this action, we will all pay the price down the road. Afterall, why would any company invest heavily in future potential products, knowing their market will be outright stolen in the end?

It seems a market free-for-all lately with many companie's innovations undermined by counterfeits. Look at the Harris bipod copies filling the shelves.. And the coax rests..
WE CAN STOP THIS. WE CAN SUPPORT THE INNOVATORS, RATHER THAN THE UNETHICAL.

early chargemasters were built by PACT, and the newer ones are sourced in China. The RCBS is faster, and has a built in memory device. The Pact is easiest to clean (very important), but a little slow. The PACT is totally U.S. made with a lifetime warranty if that matters. I often hear bad stories about the Lyman (maybe why you see them on Ebay all the time). Have never used a Hornaday, so have no opinion. I think all but the PACT are made in China (new stuff)
gary

I have used the Lyman 1200 for 10 years and have never had a problem. At times wish it was faster when doing large charges, 80 grains and up. The new ones are suppose to be faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.