Australian sambar DeeR hunting

schwabdog

IMG_0829.jpg
okay this is me firs post whit a pic, love the new system.

this is me firs long range samba deer at 250 m with me TIKKA T3 270 win was using a Hornady 150 gr SST, I find the Tikka loves the Hornady rounds

Man I'm jealous! We're going into Sumer here and averaging around 105-110F every day. Fall seems like a year away.

Great picture of what would be a pretty tricky shot with that foliage just getting in the way a bit. Fortunately if it's a long shot the arc should clear it fine.

BTW, I've never found a rifle that didn't shoot the hornady's well. Sometimes you just have to play a bit and maybe try a different bullet or two. The interlocks however have shot well for me in everything I've tried them in.

Man I'm jealous! We're going into Sumer here and averaging around 105-110F every day. Fall seems like a year away.

Great picture of what would be a pretty tricky shot with that foliage just getting in the way a bit. Fortunately if it's a long shot the arc should clear it fine.

BTW, I've never found a rifle that didn't shoot the hornady's well. Sometimes you just have to play a bit and maybe try a different bullet or two. The interlocks however have shot well for me in everything I've tried them in.

Thank you SiR,
The shot was made easy by the dissents, the samba deer is very cunning but if you add dissents it helps makes it easer to hunt, I watched this deer for about 10 min and decided to keep stalking and get a bigger stag farther up the gully. On the way back it was still, we watched it for about 15 min and we decided to shot, it was in the open when I shot, I had heaps of practice at 250 m and was confident with only about 17.5 cm bullet drop .7 mil on the scope..
even at 250 it could hear the sound of the iPhone camera going off

Thank you SiR,
The shot was made easy by the dissents, the samba deer is very cunning but if you add dissents it helps makes it easer to hunt, I watched this deer for about 10 min and decided to keep stalking and get a bigger stag farther up the gully. On the way back it was still, we watched it for about 15 min and we decided to shot, it was in the open when I shot, I had heaps of practice at 250 m and was confident with only about 17.5 cm bullet drop .7 mil on the scope..
even at 250 it could hear the sound of the iPhone camera going off
They are truly magnificent animals and I'm still having a real hard time wrapping my mind around calling anything that big a "Deer" HA!

We actually have a few Sambar in the US in Florida that can be hunted with limited permits from the USF&W. I doubt I'll ever make one of those hunts but I sure enjoy sharing in those of you guys who have them in such large numbers.

They are truly magnificent animals and I'm still having a real hard time wrapping my mind around calling anything that big a "Deer" HA!

We actually have a few Sambar in the US in Florida that can be hunted with limited permits from the USF&W. I doubt I'll ever make one of those hunts but I sure enjoy sharing in those of you guys who have them in such large numbers.

The big stags can get up 300kg the Samba deer is one of the best stalking Deer.
I didn't know you had them in the USA; we have them In BIG numbers in Australia,
If I had a looked out my window whit a light around this time id properly see 1-2,

I didn't know you had them in the USA; we have them In BIG numbers in Australia,
If I had a looked out my window whit a light around this time id properly see 1-2,
As far as I know Florida is the only place in the US with a wild population. There are probably some on the high fenced exotic ranches but I don't really call that hunting.

I'll just keep enjoying the photos and stories from you Ozzies.

As far as I know Florida is the only place in the US with a wild population. There are probably some on the high fenced exotic ranches but I don't really call that hunting.

nice, well to be honist i would love to go to the US.
i do have some more pics

Originally Posted by schwabdog

Randolph Hearst imported quite a few and turned them loose on the Hearst ranch (Hearst Castle) along with Aoudad which is located on the coast near the town of San Simeon Calif.. They were quite plentiful in the coast range when I was a kid growing up there. The last one I took was in the early 80's near Mar's Mountain. I don't know if there are any left or not but there is a lot of private land so there may be.

Wildrose , your not the only one who can't get a draw tag for St Vincent Island sambar hunt. I have put in every year for the last five , nothing :( .

Hunting for them in California still goes on although in extremely limited numbers. 3 -5 stags per year I think was the last I had read. The Florida hunt is a 3day primitive camping archery only hunt on an island accessible only by boat. Very low success but would be a great 3 day adventure!

The south pacific is no doubt the best bet for one.... I'm already saving to head back!

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

P7290019.jpg

Deer number 5* On Shot On Kill
Had another awesome Day out with the TIKKA
Shot my first Stag today, the antlers weren't grate in fact fare from it, but', the body on this thing was BIG, you can't really see it in the pic, but it had the body of a 30 incher at least +250 kg
.Range about 65 m
.Cal 270 win with 150 gr SST
.Head shot

You guys make me jealous as hell. Between the posts/pictures of Sambar hunting ya'll post and what I've seen on YouTube you make me want to spend way, way too much money on a trip to NZ or Oz... .gun)

Keep'm coming though I'll just have to enjoy it by proxy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.