Australian Gunsmiths?

I am thinking about getting my first custom rig and am trying to find some good LR smiths.
Does anyone have a recommendation?

Cheers

Shane Clancy...... great guy, top smith! I have 3 of his rifles currently, and will have another two very soon. When your dropping over $6000 a rifle, I wouldnt be going back if I was not happy!

I can show results also.

Cheers
AI

Bit more than I was planning on spending.
I would be curious to see what 6k would get me though.

This is what you would end up with.

Custom action, Surgeon or Stiller, McMillan A5 stock, Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger, tactical rings, 20MOA base, Badger M5 bottom metal, PAI or Badger brake, Harris bipod, Nightforce 5.5-22X50 scope.

This is the rifle I sold below.

IMG_0546.jpg

This is my 6mm Dasher varminter.
IMG_0764.jpg

CHeers

hi
how about getting a sendero?real tack drivers from what iv seen and excelently priced.a half desent scope all up should be well under 4000$ with enought left over for dies,ect

This is what you would end up with.

Custom action, Surgeon or Stiller, McMillan A5 stock, Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger, tactical rings, 20MOA base, Badger M5 bottom metal, PAI or Badger brake, Harris bipod, Nightforce 5.5-22X50 scope.

This is the rifle I sold below.

IMG_0546.jpg

This is my 6mm Dasher varminter.
IMG_0764.jpg

CHeers

Wow that is a nice Dasher I bet you set a ranfe reccord with it using 87gr V Max projectiles. Lawton 7500 1.360" action dual port, lawton 8 twist barrel, jewell trigger, Sehane baby tracker stock. pillar bedded with true oil finish. I'll bet I am right. It was a pleasure to help Geoff work on your rifle.

Ps heard it was up for sale $5100 aust? why are you selling it?

Cheers Bill
Australia

PS the smith is

Geoff Grenfell
Grenfell Armouring Service
26 Bell Street
Bendigo
Victoria 3555
Australia

I recently had an unforgettable experiance with a smith. If you plan on getting your dream gun built don't be stupid like me and take someones word for it becasue they sound like they are an expert on a forum like this one. Do your research, ask for testimonials, photos, warranty etc. Also have everything you want put in writing and get them to send you a list back, don't rely on phone conversations like I did.
Look seriously at getting a US smith to build one for you, my mate had Carlock build him an edge which is schmick for a good price, and there wasn't that much stuffing around with paperwork, imports etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was considering going the US route, however the crashing dollar has put that on hold:(. I think I will just make do for now and look at it again when the dollar picks up.

You guys are kidding me right??? Have a rifle built in the US......

We have some very good gunsmiths here in Australia, on par with any of the best around the world... You do not need to go else where...

You want a good smith, get onto Australian forums that have short range, 500m Fly, and 1000yd competitors, and see who builds their rifles.

I have these, or they are currently being built...

6mmPPC, Stiller Diamondback drop port, Kelby stock
6mm Dasher, Stolle Panda microport, Shehane Tracker stock
6mm Dasher, Lawton 7500 dual port, Shehane ST-BR
6mm Dasher, BAT 3 lug dual port, Kelby stock
308W, Surgeon, McMillan A5
300WSM, Stiller TAC300.

All these rifle are/will be built on high quality components, and put together here in Australia. I am a custom rifle freak.. I love them.

I also have results to prove they shoot....

Dont let anyone tell you that there is no quality smiths here in Australia.... there is.... You just need to know who, and dont use backyard hacks, which could be in any country.

Cheers
AI

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.