Austin & Hellack Questions

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by sam1586, Jul 13, 2011.

1. sam1586

sam1586 New Member

Recently I purchased an Austin Hellack .50 cal inline; serial # 0003979(no model # listed), and it is the Weston MO manufacture. Unfortunately it had no instruction manual with it.
    Does anyone know where I can get a manual, and anyone have any experience with optimal loads. I am not going to be shooting at great distances, but don't want the targer to look like I was using 00 buckshot.
    Thanks,
    Sam

2. greginpa

greginpa Member

Hello, what type of ignition? I believe some of those guns had percussion ignition.

G

3. sam1586

sam1586 New Member

Mine had been converted to 209 ignition when I bought it.

Sam

4. greginpa

greginpa Member

Mine shoots PR Bullets 195gr duplex sabot with the sub base very well @ 100yds. I use 110gr Blackhorn and a CCI 209 mag primer. I have not shot past 100yds with it.

G

5. greginpa

greginpa Member

Also shoots the Scorpion funnel point fairly well with the supplied sabot and T7 mag pellets and T7 primers.

G

6. SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10

SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10 Well-Known Member

It's been a while since i had mine but if i remember correctly i was simply putting in 3 pyrodex pellets (50 gr. Ea.) and i was using a barnes sabot. Mine used a percusion cap and i had no issues with hangfires or misfires. As far as accuracy it outshot any muzzleloader i ever had or had since i foolishly let it go to a new home. I have heard the company has closed it's doors so finding a manual for it may be troublsome. It's a real shame because they were simply the most beautiful inline ever made. Not like this plastic crap they throwin' at us now. As you can guess i really miss mine, don't ever let it go.

7. sam1586

sam1586 New Member

Thanks to all for the great advice. I was lucky enough to locate a manual; although it appears taking the bolt out may require the skills of a mechanical engineer.
    This in-line rivals any centerfire I have ever owned for apperance- absolutely georgous wood on it and incredible bluing and workmanship.
    Sam