Aussie deer bites the dust.

Down Under Hunter

Just thought I'd write a little piece about a very memorable day of hunting recently.

Finally the date arrived and I was off to the high country with a group of good friends for a few days of hunting and general relaxing. It had been a while since I had hunted this property, so I just followed my nose this first morning out.

Just after daylight I was overlooking some likely country with the glasses waiting for the sun to start hitting the slopes. The wind was already up and increasing by the minute, so I wasn't expecting too much. These big Sambar deer hate the wind.

I had been glassing for around 30min when I panned my glasses around and caught some movement and color that looked out of place. Not sure of what I seen, I sat with my eyes glued to the spot. Finally I caught a movement again as the deers body started to take shape in some light timber. Finally the deer steped out, and even at the extreme range, I knew it was something special.

I watched for a further 10 min to get a feel of what they were doing and after I had seen a further 3 deer I decided it was time to make a run on him.

Up and down a few spurs and ridges, found myself and hunting partner at 360 yards from the big guy. On further inspection we located a further 6 deer. The big guy was busy feeding and very quite. My friend ranged the deer at 365 and I bagged up the rifle for the shot.

I had my 300weatherby sighted in 3.25 " high at 100 for a 325 zero with the 168 tsx, so I was in my sweet spot. Finally the deer cleared the timber and stood briefly broadside.. Booooom. The shot echoed across the big void. Every deer in sight hauled *** out of there and the slope was empty in seconds.
P1000396z-1.jpg

Not sure of a hit or miss, I made my way over whilst my friend signalled from the shooting position. After we marked with GPS his position we swept down the slope and recovered him in 50 yards. Clean pass through right in the pocket, mid height and low through the heart on the exit.

What lay at my feet ended up being my largest stag in 14 hard years of hunting. He has 31 " long antlers with 37 " outside spread. I finally had my 30 " stag .

Pics to follow....
P1000350-1.jpg

P1000338-2.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on an absolutely magnificient animal!!! I love antlers that have a wide spread as yours do it just makes them look that much bigger IMO anyway. Good shooting on a great hunt!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.