• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Attn. Weatherby collectors

wysako

I have for sale a four digit South Gate FN 257 weatherby mag owned by Herb Klein. A friend of mine , older gent from Jeffry City WY got it from his grandfather. His grandfather had a antelope guide service in Jeffry City in the 50s and 60s. Herb hunted with him and shot a superb antelope and gave him the rifle as a tip. I acquired the rifle about 10 years ago. I never shot the rifle. There are some magazine articles and literature on the hunt. Due to some life changing events in my life I need to sell the rifle. Asking what I paid $6500. Contact me for more info. Weath1.jpgWeath2.jpgWeath3.jpgWeath4.jpgWeath5.jpgInkedWeath6.jpg

Thank you, Jeffrey City and Green Mnt is my back yard and playground. lots of history and memories for me there.

Nice rifle - you might also try gunsinternational for listing purposes. Flat rate charge is pretty cheap not like GB, get more exposure for a rifle like this. Or post on weatherby nation, i'm told there is a collectors sight as well, kind of a nitche collector one;

Good luck
Will try other sites. Never thought I would sell it. I did talk to a marketing guy from weatherby, he told me Roy and Ed threw away a bunch of paperwork from the early years away! :(

OK, forgive my apparent ignorance, but who was/is "Herb Klein
Herb Klein was a avid big game hunter, and oil tycoon, he gained world recognition in the 50's for his exploits and adventures across globe, with numerous entries of big game animals in the Boone & Crockett and safari club, I believe he was one of the first to bring attention to the B & C clubs grand slam of North American wild sheep, he was a author of magazine articles as well as at least one book titled lucky bawana. he was a avid promoter of Roy weatherby and speed kills,

Last edited:
Herb Klein was a avid big game hunter, and oil tycoon, he gained world recognition in the 50's for his exploits and adventures across globe, with numerous entries of big game animals in the Boone & Crockett and safari club, I believe he was one of the first to bring attention to the B & C clubs grand slam of North American wild sheep, he was a authored magazine articles as well as at least one book titled lucky bawana. he was as a avid promoter of Roy weatherby and speed kills,
Thanks for the background. Very interesting.

Herb Klein was a avid big game hunter, and oil tycoon, he gained world recognition in the 50's for his exploits and adventures across globe, with numerous entries of big game animals in the Boone & Crockett and safari club, I believe he was one of the first to bring attention to the B & C clubs grand slam of North American wild sheep, he was a authored magazine articles as well as at least one book titled lucky bawana. he was as a avid promoter of Roy weatherby and speed kills,
He was also Nixon's press secretary and according to the book" Weatherby: The man the gun the legend " Roy states Herb loaned him money to keep Weatherby in business because Roy was running out of $$.

He was also Nixon's press secretary and according to the book" Weatherby: The man the gun the legend " Roy states Herb loaned him money to keep Weatherby in business because Roy was running out of $$.
Think, Nixon's press secretary was a different Herb Klein, who died in 2009. The W eatherby Klein , oil man, money guy, big game hunter, friend of Roy, tipped out of the canoe in 1974.

Think, Nixon's press secretary was a different Herb Klein, who died in 2009. The W eatherby Klein , oil man, money guy, big game hunter, friend of Roy, tipped out of the canoe in 1974.
Thanks for correction, you know what happens when you assume. Lol