ATN day scopes

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by buzzard, Jan 18, 2007.

1. buzzard

buzzard Member

Has any one heard or know of how good are bad ATN day scopes are

2. nolo263

nolo263 Well-Known Member

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT SAIS ATN!!!! Run dont walk to another brand..

3. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT SAIS ATN!!!! Run dont walk to another brand..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... what he said.

I looked at one on a customers rifle and laughed - it was not blued or anodized... it was finished in black crackle paint. a true POS!

4. YOTES2CALL

YOTES2CALL Well-Known Member

ya.... what they said... save the $$$ and buy a NF, upper end luppy or IOR .

5. Chrismadrid

Chrismadrid Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    it was not blued or anodized... it was finished in black crackle paint. a true POS!

[/ QUOTE ] Paint is actually better for MIL-SPEC scopes as it does not reflect IR light (Anodising DOES and Bluing CAN)

But ATN scopes are seriously not worth the money - there's better stuff on offer, cheaper, from China.

Cant say I like Nightforce much (before anybody starts - I have NO objective reason for this) maybe I just need more time with one. IOR good glass.

6. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it was not blued or anodized... it was finished in black crackle paint. a true POS!

[/ QUOTE ] Paint is actually better for MIL-SPEC scopes as it does not reflect IR light (Anodising DOES and Bluing CAN)

But ATN scopes are seriously not worth the money - there's better stuff on offer, cheaper, from China.

Cant say I like Nightforce much (before anybody starts - I have NO objective reason for this) maybe I just need more time with one. IOR good glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

The scope that I saw was shinier than a matt finished Leupold or Nikon - the crinkle was a "wrinkled" gloss paint, not a camo type paint like that which is put on mil scopes.

7. Chrismadrid

Yup - sounds like POSP type mil-spec paint. Like Hammerite for those of UK raising. IOR use BLACK paint (2 coats apparently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) - Doesn't need to be ROBAR or Cerakote.

Still, shine IR light on it and with NV kit it'll just be DULL or maybe black. Do the same with (say) a PM2 and it shines like burnished silver.

8. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    Still, shine IR light on it and with NV kit it'll just be DULL or maybe black. Do the same with (say) a PM2 and it shines like burnished silver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,
    Is this a factor only if the viewer is using an active system rather than passive II?
    Matt

9. Chrismadrid

I've seen this with simple GEN1 but it is much more visible with a GEN2+ - even using ambient light . Shine an IR torch at it and it's real obvious. I'll TRY to photo but god knows how I'm going to attach my camera to my monocular - obviously at DISTANCE it gets less visible - but using an XD4 set up my guess is that it shouts a bit.

10. älg

älg Well-Known Member

Chris.- which paint or finishing will avoid that silver shining on an anodized scope?? just curious.- will it work with any of the usual cammo finishes ?

11. Chrismadrid

Any paint that will block light reaching the metal. It's a shame that the weather doest really suit spraying water based paint - Or I'd try the KG aircure on something (not the S&B) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif