Atlas bypod

knapper

Group;

I may be way out of line here but I have got to say that I believe that the ATLAS BYPODS are grossly overpriced??

Personal opinion

From what I hear and read, the Atlas Bi-pods are generally considered to be a good value (high performance, high price). Do you have one that you feel is not worth the $$?. I will be considering an Atlas for my next rifle, and would be interested in why you think they don't measure up.

Last edited:
Not out of line... Just don't buy one. Buy a Caldwell or Harris or whatever gets you going. A lot of guys like them; you don't have to agree (and Atlas vs Harris has been beat to a pulp).

Yup! I felt like it needed rebuilt as soon as I mounted it on a rifle.

No kidding? I've seen nothing but love for the Atlas. Do you feel the quality isn't there, or is it more the way it's made just doesn't fit your needs?

Curious as I have a bi-pod that I like, but was looking at an Atlas for a new rifle based on all the good reviews. Maybe I'm better off going with what I know...

I tried both Atlas and Harris on the same ELR rifle for a number of field shooting days. I am back to the Harris. The Atlas is a cool looking unit but I didn't care for the fore and aft slack in it. Measurably more and a pain if you are on a slope prone shooting up hill. This slack increases with height and even more with the 3" extensions. There are many shooters that swear by the Atlas, but there are also some that used them and went back to the Harris.

That said I hear Atlas is working on a bipod for heavier long range rifle with ELR in mind. I look forward to trying one of the ELR improved units.

Jeff

I have shot harris bipods all my life and was seriously interested when a new, sleeker looking, better mousetrap was supposedly created. I recently got to hold and mess with a harris S, GG&G, and Atlas all side by side and will say the harris and GG&G feel a lot more solidly built. They both had a lot less slack in the whole mechanism. The atlas looks as if it might be quicker to adjust height and panning than the other two, but for long distance shooting the extra slack in the mechanism really worried me.

For what its worth my favorite of the 3 was the GG&G with the tilt and pan feature and flat feet. at $210 (at a gun show) it didn't hurt as much as the $270 for the atlas.

But you know what they say about opinions.

112Savage

I bought the Harris S with the 9 inch length legs and so far I like it better than the old Harris, simply because of the "cant" feature that is built into it.. Also,
$125.00 cheaper thanthe ATLAS..

I'll agree with you about not being able to load a harris because its like trying to stand up on lubed ice that is why I was looking at the other bipods. The GG&G has a 45 degree tilt just like the atlas for loading situations.

Every person I know who shoots on a Harris bipod load it, I just like to load it by relaxing my shoulder not digging my toes into the dirt and shoving my whole body forward, I get a much more consistent preload with the Harris!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.