Atlas Bipod Review

I believe they only offer 3" extensions for the current model.

Greyfox is Correct. 3" extensions only.
Using this Bipod, even with extensions, shooting from a sitting position is limited to a few specific terrain situations. In general, it is more adaptable to prone position shooting. It is exceptionally steady, at any height, with the extensions in place. If you want a Bipod that will allow you to shoot in a sitting position this may not be the one for you. Having said that I still am very happy with my purchase. I realize and accept this limitation. Try one before you make your decision.

RH300UM The attachment is via small picatinny rail. It mounts on the forearm of the stock. Take a look at the mount in the LRH Store on this site.
My McMillan A3 has two holes in the front with threaded inserts molded in the forearm. These 2 holes accommodate a mounting screw and a sling swivel stud. It is simple and exceptionally sturdy. I have mine set up with the quick detach model of Atlas bipod. If you are a hunter I highly recommend the quick detach.
Hope this helps.

I am considering buying this Bipod.My question is, can I use it while in a sitting position. I was wondering if you could buy extensions to use while hunting? Ed
05-23-2013 04:03 AM

From another thread;

About sitting, the outer legs have a ID of .50, which happens to be a common size for round stock, like wood or nylon dowel rods and aluminum bar. Soooo a motivated person can simply cut the round stock to length remove the standard rubber feet (push button) and insert the bar into the extended outer leg and now you have a custom height.

While not an option to buy, this is a viable solution. Hope this helps.

RH300UM The attachment is via small picatinny rail. It mounts on the forearm of the stock. Take a look at the mount in the LRH Store on this site.
My McMillan A3 has two holes in the front with threaded inserts molded in the forearm. These 2 holes accommodate a mounting screw and a sling swivel stud. It is simple and exceptionally sturdy. I have mine set up with the quick detach model of Atlas bipod. If you are a hunter I highly recommend the quick detach.
Hope this helps.

So I need 2 studs or holes? Not just one as with a Harris?

So I need 2 studs or holes? Not just one as with a Harris?

You can use the existing stud as one of the bolts to mount the rail on, the rear works well. Then put the Atlas pod in the front notch of the rail and attach the sling to the stud as you have been doing.

Jeff

You can use the existing stud as one of the bolts to mount the rail on, the rear works well. Then put the Atlas pod in the front notch of the rail and attach the sling to the stud as you have been doing.

Jeff

Ok. Call me stupid, you can, but with one will it be strong enough were as stated else where in this thread 2 are used?
Just trying to get this straight in my little brain!

Got a new rifle being built and I am open to new things.

Ok. Call me stupid, you can, but with one will it be strong enough were as stated else where in this thread 2 are used?
Just trying to get this straight in my little brain!

Got a new rifle being built and I am open to new things.

You do not need two studs. You do need two bolts to attach the rail for the QD Atlas. Use the existing stud for the rear bolt and to attach your sling. Then drill another for the front rail bolt. Counter sink the inside of the stock for the threaded insert for the front bolt. This may be something you want your smith to do. But most that have some mechanical ability can do it in a home shop.

Jeff

Thanks Broz.
Got it now.
Just got off the phone with my 'smith. He said don't bother with the atlas. Stay with the Harris. Goin' with what he says.

Thanks Broz.
Got it now.
Just got off the phone with my 'smith. He said don't bother with the atlas. Stay with the Harris. Goin' with what he says.

I would be curious to know his reasoning behind that. Don't get me wrong, both are good bipods & will do the job for you; it just makes me wonder if he's had issues in the past or just doesn't want to fiddle with it.

t

I would be curious to know his reasoning behind that. Don't get me wrong, both are good bipods & will do the job for you; it just makes me wonder if he's had issues in the past or just doesn't want to fiddle with it.

I would hardly think a smith would be worried about drilling in one insert. There are some people that just prefer the Harris over the Atlas. It may be hard for some to comprehend this but it is true, trust me. :)

Jeff

I would hardly think a smith would be worried about drilling in one insert. There are some people that just prefer the Harris over the Atlas. It may be hard for some to comprehend this but it is true, trust me. :)

Jeff

I wonder who that may be :rolleyes: lol I have no problem with those who don't dig the Atlas, that's groovy with me. On the other hand, I would have a BIG problem with 'smiths making their customers decisions for them. I truly hope that is not the case here. From what I understand the OP hasn't been behind an Atlas, maybe he would prefer it over the Harris?

Thats the reason I asked, I guess we'll never know.:cool:

t

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.