atf forms required

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by mark308, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. mark308

    mark308 Well-Known Member

    Dec 19, 2007
    If I take my rifle to a gunsmith to have the barrel changed, change calibers. after the work is done do I need to fill out an atf form, as if I just bought it. is a barrel change a modification the atf needs tobe made aware of? I was reading else where about this and wanted some advice from a gunsmith. thank you.
  2. EddieHarren

    EddieHarren Well-Known Member

    Nov 27, 2005
    No. The only time you need to do a 4473 is when you change ownership or, after you have placed the firearm in a shop on consignment. If the firearm does not sell or, you decide to take it home, you, as the owner, must do a 4473 and have a NICS check. I still can't understand how the NRA let the "Brady Bunch" get this included in that bill.