At long range do you dial, BDC turret, graduated reticle, holdover, etc?

At long range do you dial, holdover, etc.

• Dial using handheld software

Votes: 293 31.1%
  • Dial using drop chart data

Votes: 288 30.5%
  • Use a graduated reticle

Votes: 111 11.8%
  • Use a BDC yardage turret

Votes: 119 12.6%
  • Holdover

Votes: 121 12.8%
  • Pass on the shot

Votes: 11 1.2%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
For ranges beyond what your gun is zeroed for, do you

• Dial for the yardage using handheld software generated data aided by weather meter etc.
  • Dial for the yardage using drop chart data developed by field testing without electronics help
  • Use a graduated reticle
  • Use a custom Ballistic Drop Compensating turret
  • Holdover
  • Pass on the shot

Last edited:
I like having my proven data taped to the stock. I dial elevation and use the stadia to hold off for wind. I prefer the Leupold TMR reticle or the MLR in the Night Force scopes.

I couldn't pick more than one!:) Speaking of coyotes/deer/antelope here mostly. Prarie dogs require a little more dialing.

Holdover ........Most of the time out to about 400 yds with 300 zero.
Graduated Reticle........Fast when shots are beyond 300 and under 600.
Dial using range proven drops.......yes, but not as often as the above two,
Prefered method for beyond 600 yds though.

Dial for the yardage using handheld software generated data aided by weather meter etc......................been experimenting with that a little.
Pass on the shot.............yes, done that too when I wasn't steady enough
or when the wind was too hard to call.

The graduated reticle works well for me once calibrated and range verified. I almost always hunt/shoot at the same elevations, so it's quick and I don't need tall knobs on the scope to use one. Quite a few coyotes out to about 550 +/-yds using just holdover/holdoff with a graduated reticle of some sort.........Still working on guns/load for the really long range stuff where alot of dialing is called for.

Last edited:
Prefer to dial, especially past 500 yards for elevation, stadia for windage. I use calibrated knobs and click adjust as necessary for changes in atmosphere, angle, etc. Been using my I Phone with Ballistic FTE. I have to feel good about the real long shots, wind, ranging accuracy, most impotently, if I'm alone, having enough visibility of the terrain to figure out what happened if the game runs after the shot. This is my biggest factor that forces me to either get closer, or pass on the shot.

BDC Reticle & Nikon Spot on ballistics program. With my .243 Win I've only gone out to 600 yards, but the BDC system does seem to work. Consistent first shot hits at 300, 400, 500, and 600. I have not shot paper to see group sizes over 300, but do consistently hit the 4"x6" rectangle gong at 400.

Enter the scope model, bullet & velocity & atmospheric conditions & angle of shooting for your load and like any calculator, the progam (on PC & iPhone) gives you all the stats, and it also gives the distance that corresponds to each BDC reticle circle for a given magnification on your scope. So zero for example at 200, and the first ring is 280 yards, 2nd ring is 375 and so on. Pretty cool, but the mil dot tactical guys probably wouldn't like it compared to what they use. However these scopes only cost between $300 - $700, not $3,000!

BDC Reticle & Nikon Spot on ballistics program. With my .243 Win I've only gone out to 600 yards, but the BDC system does seem to work. Consistent first shot hits at 300, 400, 500, and 600. I have not shot paper to see group sizes over 300, but do consistently hit the 4"x6" rectangle gong at 400.

Enter the scope model, bullet & velocity & atmospheric conditions & angle of shooting for your load and like any calculator, the progam (on PC & iPhone) gives you all the stats, and it also gives the distance that corresponds to each BDC reticle circle for a given magnification on your scope. So zero for example at 200, and the first ring is 280 yards, 2nd ring is 375 and so on. Pretty cool, but the mil dot tactical guys probably wouldn't like it compared to what they use. However these scopes only cost between $300 - $700, not $3,000!

Shooting4fun, Welcome to the BDC Club. I had an opportunity to try a BDC rticle Scope many years ago before they became so popular. I was hunting draws next to a cut milo field and had 2 does come out together. Well this is more about grain fed fill your freezer hunting then big horns ( my biggest up there is 177 inches). Anyway, I shot the first one at less then 50 yards, watched the other run off, she just happened to stop at a cedar bush I ranged at 427 yards. I figured what the hey, I had practiced using the BDC circles at the range, may as well practice in real time. I put the 2nd circle on her, pulled the trigger on my .300 win mag and next thing I was cleaning 2 deer. I never did give that scope back! Since that day 6-7 years ago, I have added BDC reticle scopes to my other deer rifles as well as my sons. I also had the pleasure of taking a position with Nikon 11 months ago as well. Worked out well considering I have been a faithful consumer for 15 plus years. Nikon and Spot On Ballistic Program really can help make you a more accurate shooter.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Bart300Nikon3-12.jpg

I hold over for wind. As for elevation on some of my scopes I have reticles that allow for hold over. Then on Leupolds I have used use a BDC dial like the CDS. I like using hold over for close in since it allows for quick follow up shots, but for the accurate longrange shot nothing is better than dialing.

Bman- I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago when I contacted Nikon about the BDC program features and actually spoke with the Product Manager of the BDC software. I had some questions that he cleared those up, and I offered a few suggestions as well. I have been a PM and CS/Field Service Engineer & manager for most of my career, and was impressed that Nikon actually had someone who would talk to the public.

One thing that is a bit odd is that on both of my Monarchs, the parallax adjustment demarcations do not correspond to actual yardage at all. In other words, clear focus is achieved at a point where the numbers are 40 - 100 yards off from the actual distance of the object.

The tactical turrets that came with my 2nd Monarch, the 5-20x, is a nice addition for those situations where we want to dial as well. A few windage indicators would be a welcome addition too.