Asking for help choosing scope for my new GAP .300 WSM

mjm0073

My GAP .300 WSM is ready, and I am trying to decide on which scope to put on it. I am new to LR shooting, and I have read hundreds of the posts here and see there are a ton of options and more opinions. Here's what I do know: I want a scope that the lower range of magnification is in the 3-4 power, and I do not want an illuminated reticle since I will be hunting in several states. I like the NF 3.5-15 x 50 scopes as well as the Leupold Mark 4's. I will be shooting out to 5-600 yards (maybe further as I progress), so I'm wondering if I really need all the bells and whistles and if so, which ones?!?

If the NF did not weigh almost 2 lbs I would go with it for sure, but I'm having a hard time dropping $1,700 to put a 2 lb scope on a 7 lb rifle when a Leupold is around $1,100 and 1/2 lb lighter. But, I have also read the posts on several of the sniper's forums, an the Leupolds take a beating in those guys' opinions. I'm not sniping though, just hunting..... Any advice you LR hunters have on these two scopes or any others and/or which options, reticles, etc. to go with? I know from reading all the posts that this is a loaded question, so I guess I'm really trying to boil down my options for a great hunting scope. I don't shoot targets, and my skill level if I practice is probably not going to be to where I'm comfortable shooting anything over, say, 600 yards.

Have a great 4th of July Holiday, and thanks in advance!!!

I was in the same boat. I needed a new scope for my 300wsm and I spent a couple of months really doing my homework. For me it boiled down to either the Zeiss Conquest and the Sightron SIII LRMOA model. If feel for what I want and it sounds like what you want. Theses are at the top. Best glass, best tracking, best warrenties. This is all in my opinion. Some will say the Vortex PST is tops, but it has an illuminated reticle. Some will say the leupold vx3 but its not quite the scope it should be for the money in my opinion. The Ziess conquest has some great reticle options. As does sightron. Check them out. I doubt you will be dissapointed.

I agree with camshaft, I think sightron is a great scope for the money, but again it is kinda "tactical" For a hunting scope I would look into ziess or savro. It may not have the adj needed once you get past 600-800 yards but that can be fixed with rings and a rail. The PST is also a good bang for the buck but the glass is not a clear as the others.

Jon

I do not shoot competition and have two of greybullprecision.com Leupold scopes and love both of them. Cost 1150.00 or close to that. My opinion also weigh in at 1 pound. One on 25-06 and one 0n 7mm Wapiti Express. 4.5x14 VX3 is power.

Last edited:
The new Premier hunter FFP 3-15x50 looks to have the goods and well priced,might not be quite as light as you would prefer though.

For hunting, I would use the Leupold Vx-3 in a 4.5-14x. It's a good all around scope in my humble opinion. For target shooting/comp I would up the power to the 6.5-20x.

I have used the Leupolds for some very extensive hunting and have never had a problem with one. I use the Leupold tactical Mark 4's for shooting comp, as well as the Nightforce, but the former is heavy. Never shot with the others mentioned, so I can't say. Leupold works and I have seen some take a good beating. I have 6 Leupolds of various types on tactical rifles to hunting rifles.

Just my 2 cents!

with a carry gun, i'm not a big fan of these very high turrets we use with these tactical type of scopes. dialing is great but i don't think necessary for distances up to 7-800 yards. the ballistic reticles are great for this. just determine what ranges hit at which mark and you're good to go. my carry gun is going to have a swaro on it with very regular low profile covered turrets, because the higher ones seem to catch on a whole bunch more stuff, not to mention they can rotate without you knowing it. again, for my carry gun, the turrets have to be covered, and the lower, the better. oh yeah, my scope weighs less than 13 oz!

Last edited:
Dave, I've been looking at the swaro website and really like the z5 in the 3.5-18x44. Wish it had a little bigger objective--up to 50 or so, but 5x zoom is awesome as a lot of my hunting in AR can be up close whereas when I go out west it can be a lot furhter out. I've definitely put this one in my short list. . Which one are you looking at going with? Has anyone used swaro's ballistic turrets?

Great info and thanks for sharing everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.