Army To Evaluate The Effectiveness Of The M855 Ammo

jwp475

By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Writer

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - The military is reviewing soldiers' complaints that their standard ammunition isn't powerful enough for the type of fighting required in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army's highest-ranking officer said Thursday. But Gen. George W. Casey Jr., the Army chief of staff, said it was too soon to say whether the Pentagon will switch.

Current and former soldiers interviewed by The Associated Press said the military's M855 rifle rounds are not powerful enough for close-in fighting in cities and towns in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Speaking with reporters at a conference in Huntsville, Casey said leaders are constantly soliciting feedback from soldiers in the field and were aware of complaints about the M855 ammunition.

"To effectively prepare them we have to adapt as the enemy adapts, and that is some of the feedback we have gotten," Casey said. "We'll evaluate it quickly and then we'll decide how we want to proceed."

But Casey said it would be premature to say if the Pentagon will consider a different type of ammunition.

"I can't tell you exactly what we're going to do," he said.

The M855 rounds were designed decades ago to puncture the steel helmets of Soviet soldiers from hundreds of yards away. Some soldiers said that they are not large enough to stop an enemy immediately in close quarters.

Casey said the military has been evaluating its equipment and practices since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

"Technology is pulling us, and what we're learning on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan is pushing us," he said.

Chief of staff: Army reviewing complaints over bullets - Yahoo! News

I have seen enough video of our guy's using AK's in firefights to agree, it's time for something with a lot more thump.

Teddy Rosevelt proved long ago the worth of, and need for larger caliber or at least heavier bullets for the type of fighting our guy's are doing now.

Just my .0002

Its not the the bullets weight or diameter thats the problem its the bullets desgine , like it was said these were desgined for old school open area battle fields , todays battel field is urban towns where long range maybe 50 yds and these little armor piercing rounds just poke tiny little holes in people at that range , if you could convience the bad guy to where level III bullet proof vest they would work alot better.
i have't heard to many complaints about the 77gr OTM rounds that the SF guys get to use cause they expand alot better , but the down side it they don't punch through armor if thats needed.

I have seen some footage of both men and enraged dogs shot with 55gr and 75gr TAP rounds from Hornady in every case it was instant stop with death very shortly after and in a couple case that was from a 10.5" barreld AR at more than 20yds.

Where's the 6.8mm Rem SPC? The Army has had that caliber available for over a year. Why don't they get the 6.8mm ARs in the field? Why are they still arguing about it?

Maybe they should re-issue the M14 tanker rifles if they haven't sold 'em all to the Saudis or someone.:(

The Army has re-issued many M-14s as a matter of fact. It was the Special Forces Comunity that approache Rem to design a more effective round that would fit in the M-16 platform. The Army Brass seems unwilling to admit that a larger Diameter projectile will leave a larger wound thus making it more effective over a wider range of circumstances.

as baggy as the street gangs wear their pants, they could carry one of those things around and nobody would ever know they were "packin"

James Jones it right

I just got off the plane here at Fort Bragg (again) and I would have to agree with James on this one.

The 5.56 mm round is not the issue the issue is in the bullets design weight and intended use which it to punch through Soviet helmets.

The Army will not change caliber it is not cost effective to do so! We can not just change our bullets if we did then all the optics the military has spent so much money on training and equiping the soldiers with would be of no use. All of the Trijicon ACOG's have a BDC in them for the M885 round. Who uses them? The MARINES issue an ACOG to each and every rifleman and the ARMY has one for each and every NCO and Officer.

Outside of the special operations comunity there will be no change in near future to a diffrent caliber. The only option is to redesign the bullet or to match the ballistics of the M885 round to all of the sights we have.

Just my thoughts

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.