Arizona Elk

McMillan

<strong>Official Sponsor of LRH</strong>
I drew what is normally considered a great hunt in Arizona, Unit 22S on an early elk hunt. There were only 30 tags issued for this unit and we hunted the week starting the day after Thanksgiving. The first four days we hunted primarily the Mazatzal Mountains. Starting out at 4200 ft and climbing to about 5500 ft it was tough going. The daytime temps were in the mid 70's which kept the elk at the very top of the mountains. Day five we switched locations and saw several bulls worth considering. The weather report was for freezing rain and possible snow the next day so we decided that we needed to shoot a bull even if wasn't the monster we were hoping to get on camera. I shot a decent 6x6 at 780 yards using a McMillan EOL Outdoorsman in 338 Lapua. I was shooting a 300 gr Berger VLD at 2750. It's amazing what that combination with .818 BC and 5037 ft.lbs of energy will do.

Apparently we can't post pics in this section but I have posted a pic in the Test a McMillan rifle thread.

Have to admire your choice of equipment, that turned out to be exactly what was needed. How much have you shot those loads and are they factory?

Great shot! Some people don't realize that out west here we have to occasionally make those shots. It is a considerably tougher shot in canyons and mountains than on the range. I can't say enough for McMillen stocks for holding all that metal still while you make the long shot.

Nice hunt. Congratulations.

Here's the pic.

igdcon.jpg

I could not post it using longrangehunting.com's conventional way.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.