Are there any negatives to fireforming factory .280Rem in a .280AI Chamber?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Troutslayer2, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Troutslayer2

Troutslayer2 Well-Known Member

I have not been able to find any Nosler .280AI brass out there. I can however find .280 Remington already loaded for about $20/box. So for that same $1 I'd be paying for a piece of brass I can get ready to shoot ammo. If I feed a bunch of this stuff through my new .280AI, will it be fireformed and ready to go, or will I be somehow creating a dangerous or damaging situation for my rifle? ? ?

2. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

I've done the same thing before with my 280AI. It works just fine.

3. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

"Are there any negatives to fireforming factory .280Rem in a .280AI Chamber? "

AI chambers are specifically designed to do exactly that, using factory loads.

4. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

Try these guys for your brass. You will need to call them but they are open on Saturdays. Just a side note. If you are going to fireform and I was you I would just buy Norma 280, Lapua 30-06 or Nosler 280 brass. This way you get good brass.

Huntington Reloading Supplies - Cases/Nosler

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  5. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

The only down side I can think of is, if you bought several boxes of loaded ammo they might not be from the same production 'lot'. A good read on the subject -- P.O. Ackleys' "HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS & RELOADERS". (I know, reading books is for old guys):)