Are Federal primers larger than CCI?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MSLRHunter, Nov 19, 2012.

1. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I have been using CCI 250's in my 280AI with Nosler brass, but today I loaded some with Federal 210M's and noticed that they were much harder to seat than the CCI. On a few pieces of brass I was not able to seat the primer all the way, btw I use the Lee hand primer tool. Just curious if it is the Federal primers that are larger or if the pockets are smaller in diameter, I haven't had a chance to measure them yet, just wanted to see what everyone's experience on this was.

2. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

Both primers and primer pockets are made to the same SAAMI specifications. That includes a small range and with an interference fit even a quarter of a thousanth makes a difference. Any of them can vary that much in a single production run. Nevertheless, the cups are malleable so you should have no real problem seating them.

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Lee warn against using Federal primers in the hand primer?

4. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

Your not going to have problems with that priming tool and federal primers, if you do I don't wanna shake your hand. Also as stated all primers should be close but IME when the primer pocket gets loose I use CCI 250s that I've had a couple years because they measure .0015" larger then any other that I have, but be careful switching from CCIs to federals, you may have to back off a few tenths depending on how hot your current load is.

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

???? I've been using a couple of aged Lee primer hand tools for decades and have had no adverse experiences...

6. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Not saying it won't work, but I think when I got mine a few years back it had a warning. I use mostly federal 215's and have loaded some but they put that out for a reason and so I stopped. Probably just an isolated incident but I like my hands too much.

7. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

There was no such warning with my tool which is about 3-4 yrs old. I do however only put about 10 primers in the tray at one time just to be safe.