Are faster burning powders more temp sensitive?

I havent done extensive tesing on this exact subject so I cant give you a definate yes or no or for some and not others......

What I can offer you is some testimony as to some experiences I have had between the 308 winnie and the 300 RUM. I have done temp senitivity tests on both. One uses VARGET and RL15 type powders and the other uses RETUMBO and RL25 type powders. IMO this is a fairly large window between these two burn rates. I wouldnt say that RL15 is a fast burning powder but I would say that is significantly faster than RL25. I have tested the temp sensitivity of the VARGET and RL15 in my 308 and H1000 and RL25 in the 300 RUM. Temps between around the 0 degree F. mark and the 70 degrees F. mark. In both cases the results for velocity changes were very very similar from one caliber to the next. Both RL25 and RL15 in their respective cases gave me between 20-30 FPS.

Can we draw any conclusions from this? Maybe and maybe not. This is only one instance and most would agree that due to the complexity of internal ballistics and indavidual barrels (lengths, bore diameters, bore tolerences, groove numbers, twist rates, personalities) and bullet weights and types and how all these tie together in their relationships make it very difficult to predict what the next pair of 308's and 300 RUMs will do, never mind a 7mm RUM along side a 338 federal.

On the surface it would seem that there isnt as much sensitivity difference between slower and faster powders of equal technology as there is between a powder of a higher technology verses a lower technology. But untill it is tested further, it is hard to say with certainty.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.