Arctic Shooting

Bubba-n-AK

I guess it is never too cold to shoot.
Weather.jpg

Bench3.jpg

FrostyMug.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder does anyone produce a insulated barrels?
How much daylight per day do you still have? IP

[/ QUOTE ]
Insulated barrels?
We have 5 hours daylight as of today. And currently losing 5 minutes a day. Solstice is on the 21st of December, after that we will begin to gain daylight once more

"-21*F, feels like N/A" Feels like N/A ... I'll bet ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've shot in -15*F before, hopefully never again. Firing pin froze forward, bipod legs frozen open ... a person learns real fast about cold weather maintenance. Nice pics !

The main reason I was out there is because Jeff at Nightforce scopes asked me to do some actual cold weather testing. Making radical scope adjustments at those temperatures. I have to say, the scope functioned perfectly. No lag at all. I was adjusting elevation one complete turn, fire and return one complete turn and fire again. He said they use some kind of really super high quality grease and titanium springs. I know of other major brand scopes that wont work in these conditions. It is a good thing to know.

And yes, you learn your rifles limitations based on your actions. Too much oil in the bolt and you will not strike the primer hard enough if at all. I've heard of several folks that have experienced this.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.